Hotels near Manchester Airport And Train. Also: Weather in Tresaith?

Now that the Sept bootcamp is a go, I’m firming up travel plans. I purchased airline tickets ages ago and am now looking at hotels, train tickets and weather forecasts.

Would anyone be able to recommend (or caution against) a hotel that’s near Manchester airport AND the Manchester train station?

I’m also updating my rain gear on advice of a co-worker who was just in London. I was checking out the forecasts for Tresaith…is 18° there a humid warmer 18° or cooler, damper 18°? Trying to decide on a rain jacket with or without a bit of insulation.

(Additionally, is there a difference between the train and the ‘tube’?)

1 Like

I was in Tresaith in April (2015) for my bootcamp, so I don’t know how relevant it is to September, but by 'eck it was windy! Dare I suggest your rain jacket with insulation, plus a lightweight pac-a-mac just in case? If you’ve got one of those where you can unzip the insulation inside to remove it, so much the better.

British weather, eh?

2 Likes

Train is overground, unless going through a tunnel. Trains go from city to city. Tube is Metro is Subway is Underground and is limited to a particular city.

3 Likes

Diolch @margaretnock. I’ll definitely be taking the train then.

Hefyd diolch @sarapeacock. Would you say that you run cold or hot when it comes to temperature?

Yes. Yes it is. One or the other. Sometimes on the same day…

:wink:

Unhelpful but very typical of Welsh weather!

3 Likes

I find anything over 16 degrees is T-shirt weather , especially if the sun is out. The Welsh weather is always very changeable but September is never usually particularly cold , unless you are used to very hot weather

Good question! I loathe to be cold. But as soon as I get moving I get very warm and need to take layers off.

In fact, ‘layers’ is usually the best answer to the British weather. As long as your lightweight mac is windproof you could wear a jumper (sweater?) underneath if you needed.

Sam84 is absolutely right as well - September is usually one of our best months, weather-wise (typed as I look out of the window at the drizzle…)

3 Likes

Hello Cyd, cmng from Australia I couldn’t work out the welsh summer. Now I know what to bring and this may help. It’s getting further into Autumn so really warm days may not occur but you never know, so bring something you would normally wear on a summer day. You will need a warm jumper or jacket, you will also need a rain jacket of some kind. Also bring a lighter cardigan or jumper. I’m in Paignton now, and yesterday I was cold and wearing two cardigans but today the sun is out and it’s humid and warm. Plan for all weathers as it changes all the time. I have not experienced a lot of rainy days but then, you might. Confusing isn’t it!

3 Likes

Helo Cyd,
You can get a train from Manchester Airport to Manchester Picadilly then that will connect with the trains to Caerfyrddin. The whole trip takes about five and a half hours. As for hotels near the airport, depends what you want to pay. They’re v much like airport hotels the world round. Hope that helps a bit. I’ll ask around for more hotel advice.
Pob lŵc,
Shak

3 Likes

Not really, actually! I’m from Chicago, where the saying is “if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute.”

I distinctly remember a day during which it was 65° F, warm and humid at 7am and 30° F and snowing at 5pm.

I find anything over 16 degrees is T-shirt weather , especially if the sun is out.

Ouf…I will need to start thinking in C…

The Welsh weather is always very changeable but September is never usually particularly cold , unless you are used to very hot weather

In Chicago during the summer it’s not uncommon to have several days of 90°F with heat indexes of 100°+. Would it get warm like that?

2 Likes

Very unlikely to get that hot. In September. Or Ever, Anywhere in Britain.

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn to everyone for your help. I believe I can get everything arranged now…and if I have other questions I’ll ask.

(Side note: Had just returned a raincoat I’d bought online (sleeves too tight), and ordered another to arrive Monday. Of course I found one at Target when out running errands.)

As for hotels near the airport, depends what you want to pay. They’re v much like airport hotels the world round. Hope that helps a bit. I’ll ask around for more hotel advice.

@andygildon: Don’t take too much time, your info was plenty…I’ll just find something near the train.

1 Like

One Timely Question:

The site where I’m booking my stay is offering a currency card as part of the booking. I’d not thought of getting one…I thought I’d just exchange currency before I left…but after reading up it sounds like the safest way to carry cash. Anyone have any opinions, for or against?

Can you use your bank card to get money out of an ATM? I know the systems used to be very different, but perhaps they match up a bit more now.

I don’t know how it works with US cards in the UK, but using UK cards abroad works fine but you generally get stung by fees e.g. 3% of what you’re spending or withdrawing. You’d have to check with your card issuer over what fees they charge in the UK. You might be lucky and not have any fees to pay, in which case using your normal bank cards would be fine.

One of the benefits of these currency cards is that you (generally) only pay a fee when you load them with cash - in the same way as you’d be charged a fee for swapping dollars to pounds. So long as the card is generally accepted in the UK then they’re a good thing to have to avoid carrying loads of cash around (just don’t forget the PIN!).

Be sure to check who is issuing the card though - visa, mastercard, maestro - so you can check if it’s going to work in the UK.

1 Like

I put most of the money on the card but took about £200 in cash. That way if you can’t get to a teller you will still have cash.

Having said that, in such a forthright way, we have of course just had the hottest ever September day! Moral being, don’t believe a single word Margaret says!