Hotels/B&B in Newtown

Got a wedding to go to in August in Newtown, Powys and the usual suspects of Booking.com are suggesting that Shrewsbury is a really convenient place to find hotels!

Any road up, does anyone local know of a place in or near Newtown that doesn’t do the main booking sites that would have 4 rooms. Not too worried about facilities, a bed for the night to sleep it off is all that’s required!

1 Like

I stayed in Gregynog once with what was then University College Swansea Astronomy Department! My ‘Auntie’ was studying with them on an extramural basis and when they ran this special,course in the wilds of Powys, asked if I could come! I’m not sure if she told them that every time I arrived from London, she showed
me her notes and I explained them to her! Gregynog was great, although the sort of place where I felt I should be wearing a crinoline! I would imagine that area is full of small hotels, pubs with rooms and b&bs! If you have a chance to look in the lake - I have never seen such huge tadpoles anywhere else! (We stole some and some of mine grew up to be newts!)

If you enjoyed the Metropole Hotel for our reunion, Ian, it is a bit closer than Shrewsbury (25 miles, 41 mins according to Google Maps).

I have eaten with colleagues at the Maesmawr Hotel which seemed to be a very congenial place. It’s quarter of an hour from Newton. It’s website is here

1 Like

Visit Mid Wales shows the Elephant and Castle Hotel in Newtown. You could also look for places in Caersws (The Unicorn has just reopened after being closed for a long time). I haven’t stayed anywhere around there (too close to home). Also, Aberhafesp is a village quite close to Newtown. Further away, you could try Llandinam or Carno. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

We stayed at a sweet pub in Llanidloes a few years ago - I think it was The Mount. As well as the rooms in the pub, they have nice chalet-type rooms out back (and somewhere to put bikes - we were on a cycling tour). That’s about 25 mins away from Newtown, according to Google Maps. GM suggests other hotels/B&Bs in the town as well.

1 Like

The Mount is a nice pub with lots of character. When we have business visitors we use the Unicorn which is very comfortable. I’m sure there are comparable places in Newtown, though I don’t know about them personally - I tend to keep away from Newtown as it is basically one huge traffic jam at least until the bypass opens.

As an aside, I wonder why so many mid Wales towns have a Unicorn hotel?

1 Like

I’ve stayed at Gregynog too. Our Uni did it’s intensive courses there. An amazing place, I thought. What an atmosphere!

Creaky floorboards though - illicit tip-toeing between bedrooms was very difficult - not that I ever tried. :laughing:

4 Likes

Dolforwyn Hotel, Abermule is about 5 miles from Newtown
Telephone no.: 01686 630 221. Friendly staff and very helpful.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Quite a few of the suggestions booked up because of two weddings at the same time. We’ve also accepted that there is going to be a journey. Found a friendly place who have been helpful.

3 Likes