Hi, Just Joined

S’mae Dan! There is a theory that just listening to language without any reference or instruction to the words will eventually work, but I’m not sure I subscribe to that - but I could see it working over years and years because of contextual learning.

You’re on lesson 3 of course 1, which is the start of your Welsh language experience, so don’t be surprised not to understand what’s being said on PYC. It took me two years of (almost) daily study before I could switch the subtitles off, and even now I can have depressing days when I feel like I need them again. I found subtitles useful, others don’t. I used English ones at first, then switched to Welsh. Now I need them only now and again and can generally understand what’s going on even if I miss nuance.

Pob lwc!

Well done Dan. Honestly, it’s probably well worth keeping the English subs on - you’re not going to understand the words anyway this early on. What you are going to do is get used to hearing spoken Welsh from a variety of voices at normal speaking speed. Once your Welsh improves, this practice will help you to actually understand what’s being said to you. Not to mention you might actually pick up a few extra words that way.