Hi from Friesland, with question about attitude towards learners

As in:

1 Like

It means ā€˜old dragonā€™ - ā€˜henā€™ = old, ā€˜draigā€™ = dragon. I am actually an old dragoness, but the ā€˜ddā€™ (softer than ā€˜dā€™) is something that happens after ā€˜henā€™, not to show Iā€™m female!
Diolch yn fawr (thank you very much) for signing. I am very distrustful of the UK Government. There is a tendency to try to use S4C as a bargaining chip just before elections and reverse all promises afterwards!
Oh, I see others have explained my name before me, never mind. I am not actually the oldest on the forum, One chap is 82 and Iā€™m only 75.
I am sure you will progress fine with your Cymraeg and be very welcome when you visit. As I am in Yr Alban (Scotland), Iā€™ll not see you, but you will feel a lot of warmth from those who do!

1 Like

Wow, Elkie, thatā€™s great news, Iā€™d love to get in touch and have a paned and a chat or two. I realized when I read your note that I got the subject wrong - Iā€™m near Alkmaar (in West-Friesland, so technically not very wrong :slight_smile: ), so perhaps Utrecht might be more on the way? Weā€™ll figure out something, Iā€™m sure. Iā€™ll PM you my phone number - Iā€™m very busy until Sinterklaas but would love to talk to you after the 5th.

1 Like

No connection, but I had been thinking for a long time that I should really know the second official language of the Netherlands, so when a friend pointed out the Futurelearn course, I went for it. I find it much harder than I thought, partly because of the courseā€™s methods, but also, strangely, because Frisian is both similar and dissimilar enough to Dutch for me to get confused.
I am sure Aran wouldnā€™t mind if someone were to create a SizzeWatynitFrysk courseā€¦

2 Likes

This has been exactly my experience when, with a prior knowledge of Afrikaans, Iā€™ve tried to learn Dutch! To paraphrase: Dutch is both similar and dissimilar enough to Afrikaans for me to get confused. Ek vind dit 'n bietjie moeilik (ā€œI find it a bit difficultā€ - Afr).

BTW Louis, I understood two words in Frisian in your post - ā€œswakā€ and ā€œbytsjeā€ - so it seems these two words are interchangeable between Dutch, Frisian and Afrikaans.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know ā€œswakā€ (apart from guessing from the context), but Iā€™m guessing that ā€œbytsjeā€ might be cognate with German ā€œbisschenā€ and English ā€œbitā€.

I could plug them into a translation tool, but whereā€™s the fun in that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

German schwach, Dutch zwak - weak

2 Likes

Damn, I should have got that one too. My German is very rusty.

2 Likes

And Afrikaans swak = weak (exactly as in Frisian)

2 Likes

Hi Emma,
I too am a Welsh learner in the Netherlands. I am originally from Wales but now I live in the centre of Amsterdam. I have been using SSiW to improve my Welsh and to fill in all of the little gaps in my knowledge. I would still consider myself a beginner but I can hold a conversation.
Let me know if you are looking for a language learning partner.
Regards,
Ewan

3 Likes