'henddraig's S4C Petition Update!

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

1 Like

Every time, @Deborah-SSi, I think the signatures are drying up and maybe we are running out of learners, exiles, friends… we have another little rush of people to reassure me!
1266 - 1274
Germany, Oxford,
USA : Atlanta - S4C good for learning and likes the shows; Pennsylvania - continuance of this important cultural resource is imperative!
Yorkshire, 2 from London, one saying important channel for Welsh culture should not be cut, Leicester - many in England want to learn Welsh, he did 37 years ago in Bristol and the entire comment is in Welsh:
and last, but by no means least,
from Tasmania, Australia, a plea which sums up the whole petition, “Don’t forget us who are not there!”

1 Like

Could not resist this. Only 2 more, 1275 here in Scotland and 1276 on Anderson Island, Washington, USA.
I didn’t know much about Washington State, just Seattle, and I’m not even sure whether that’s in the state or drws nesa! But the Island fascinated me, so I looked on Google maps and found how beautiful the whole area must be , islands and narrow peninsulas everywhere in, I am sure, lovely clean sea! Cold, but glorious! If you are reading this and learning here, Croeso and do put a picture in the What’s outside thread!!!
I have checked the SSiW map and he is not on that! Sad!!

I went on holiday to Washington state. It is really nice. What threw me was the Rodeos, I didn’t realise they had them so far north!

Firstly, I was so fascinated by Anderson Island that I e-mailed the gentleman and found that he has done some of SSiW and still gets the n/l! Diolch @Deborah-SSi It was mention in this which caused him to sign! @aran, if you wonder why he stopped after doing Level 1 lessons and level 1 Challenges, he was interested n reading Welsh and mainly in music and singing in Choirs!

Now, 1277 - 1282
Belfast, learner with Welsh heritage says S4C is an important channel
Peterborough, Grimsby,
New Hampshire USA - ‘willing to pay a subscription’
West Sussex - Welsh is a growing language, don’t stunt its growth
Solihull - S4C is a cultural asset for the whole UK!

1 Like

1283 - 1287
@Deborah-SSi the last of these caused me to think! But starting at the beginning -
Canada - ‘would pay, currently can only get access via third party, no money goes to S4C!’ (Sounds like Sky here!)
Australia, Germany and Suffolk, England
Now the one who made me think -
from Chard, Somerset, England, “Loss of S4C would diminish cultural diversity & freedom of choice. I was brought up in a Welsh speaking family, most of whom lived in England and all enjoyed watching S4C.”
My reaction was to gasp and then check and realise that it is 34 years since we finally got S4C, so anyone under about 37 probably can’t remember a time without it!! Doesn’t remember the struggle to get it! Or other fairly useful things in Welsh, like road signs!
Please @Deborah-SSi can we put something in the n/l mentioning the fact that some of us remember the time when there was no TV in Welsh and don’t want to go back to those days?

1 Like

To @Deborah-SSi I put 1287-1291 in another thread, and have forgotten where.
We have hit a slow patch, only 2 new ones. 1292 from Boston, Mass, USA and, of interest to you, I suspect, 1293, a lady from Waihi, Hauraki, New Zealand! My knowledge of NZ geography is embarrassingly non-existant, so I haven’t a clue how well provided with internet etc, that might be, but she comments, “It would be such a treat to view programs from Wales and listen to the Welsh language.” I felt like crying when I read 'would be’.
As initiator of the petition, I know her email address, so shall suggest she looks for S4C International on line!

1 Like

Waihi is a very popular beach town. It’s not that far from Auckland, but I have no idea what internet coverage is like outside the major cities in New Zealand. Hopefully she can get something online.

1 Like

Waihi, as @Deborah-SSi says, is about 100k from Auckland, the same distance as me, only to the south east whereas I’m to the north. I get very good reception of S4c International, especially on my tablet, even though I’m in area which has notoriously slow internet speed by New Zealand standards. I would think she would have at least as good.

1 Like

Thank you both!
Now, @Deborah-SSi, 1294-1296
Solihull and Maindenhead, UK and Bellingham, Washington State, USA.
I wondered if this one knows the choir member from Anderson Island and signed due to him!?? You never know, we might get a little spate of signatures from the State!! @Sionned?

1 Like

There are a fair number of people in the state of Washington on our map. And a fair number of Welsh descendants and organizations in that area. So it could be any of those that the latest signer came from. When CĂ´r Cymry Gogledd America was active we had a fair number of choristers in that area.

2 Likes

Hi @Deborah-SSi! hope boot camp was fun! (I’m sure it was!)
1297-1299
Burton-on-Trent
West Midlands - Welsh, living in England, S4C a vital link to first language & culture
New Jersey, USA

1 Like

If Rhiannon, living in Wrexham is a Forum member, (@Deborah-SSi? @Sionned? @aran @Iestyn, anyone know?) It was very kind of you to be number 1300 to sign the petition, but it says it is for people living outside Wales, who have no other way to appeal to the UK Government and do not get counted in conventional viewing figures. So really, I should delete your signature. I will not to so instantly, but it is such a nice round number that it is a bit awkward to leave it there!
3 days later, I have deleted Rhiannon’s signature. There was at least one petition from people in Wales.It may still be possible to sign that. Sorry - tried it and that one has closed!
Oh two more had signed, so we are at 1301, but will report fully on Monday!

1 Like

So, @Deborah-SSi, 1300 is now a musician in Kenilworth, UK who makes a long and heartfelt comment about the connection between the Welsh language and music. He says he is ‘more than’ grateful for Wales’ contribution to world culture and points out the value of TV in preserving both the language and the music of Wales!
1301 is from London and 1302 from Nottingham

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi, thanks a million for bothering to go into the signature list and so to quote the entire comment! I am never sure about giving long quotes on here, but I nearly did in that case and I was so happy to see his own words… and all of them… in the n/l!! :thumbsup:

1 Like

I thought it was worth quoting in its entirety - very passionate about our S4C!

1 Like

1303-1307, @Deborah-SSi, I’ll check again on Monday for any more, but as of now…A Welshman in Dublin is regularly watching S4C on satellite TV and highly values this unique link with his language and culture! I know exactly how he feels!! I do the same in Scotland! the others are in -
Harrow, Cornwall, Galway and Devon.

No more since 1307 @Deborah-SSi,
p.s. No n/l today?

Thanks. Newsletter ready to go but internet connection dropped out :cry:

Diolch! Have now seen and read it! I guess we should be grateful you have a connection at all! Here, we risk drop-out at any time, but it’s usually OK!