Helo! Progress updates (and probably questions!)

Challenge 3

A quick question about “yet”. In Level 1 we learn ‘yet’ - ‘hyd yn hyn’ and ‘again’ - ‘eto’. In this Challenge in (for example) “We don’t have children yet”, ‘eto’ is used. Can anyone explain?

I did get to the end today though!

1 Like

As much as I can recall “eto” can be used for either of them roo. At least I’m using “eto” for “yet” aswell and no one would say it’s wrong. However (of course) I’m not the most relevant “source” of knowledge here.

In the Southern Courses we use eto for both. Not sure if it’s a mistake or they’re trying to keep you on your toes.

Just thinking that in English, for example, “I won’t do that yet” and “I won’t do that again” mean quite different things!

1 Like

Context is key. Within a conversation, the difference should be distinguishable.

1 Like

Yup - technically speaking, it’s an ‘oops’. :sunny:

Coming from the fact that ‘eto’ doesn’t match perfectly to ‘yet’, but does overlap. In an ideal world, we wouldn’t have muddied the waters, so if you’d be kind enough to forget it ever happened, that would be lovely…:wink:

4 Likes

All in all, is it in Northern version? I don’t remember ever hearing for this (oh, but I don’t remeber many things though. If my nose wouldn’t stick to my face I’d forget it probably somewhere too …)

Yep, Northern Level 1 Challenge 2 according to my notes! Pronounced “heed un hin” as far as I’m aware, which is a little confusing with all the y’s!

Aha. I’d have to go and listen to the South version to hear what there is taught. Honestly, I’ve done that Level 1 Challenge 2 Southern, but if you ask me now I don’t know what was taught in it anymore. …

Hyd yn hyn - up to now (perhaps more literally/ up to this, meaning time) so used like thus far / so far. (take my explanations with caution).
so much English does not stand up well to thinking literally about the words so i think as ever
(that’s how it is).

amser hyn - this time, meaning right now is fun as well.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your answers!

Just had a mini self victory. Following the tweets about a TV show I’m watching, one happened to be in Cymraeg and I understood it! Well minus one bit that I had to look up, but I’ve learnt a word or phrase for ridiculous now (wirion bost) so that’s always a bonus!

3 Likes

I also used to have that problem with the pause button and my phone going to sleep. However, I recently discovered that the earphones I use (that came with the phone) have their own little volume control and pause button on them which works even when the screen goes blank. I also noticed that if you open the app and go into settings it has an option to ‘keep device awake’ which you could try.

2 Likes

Helo! It’s been a while, but I’m back and trying again this year. Been a busy few months with a new flat/job/city, but hopefully I’ll be able to pick it back up regularly. My commute is now on a tram so my previous system of doing lessons in the car won’t work, so I’ll have to find a new routine.

Started with Level 2 Lesson 5, which was a massive struggle, but there was only one word I had absolutely no recollection of so the words are in my head somewhere…

5 Likes

You might try sub-vocalising, if it’s the talking aloud element that you feel isn’t suited to a tram (otherwise, the tram sounds like a great opportunity!).

Was that your first time with that lesson? If so, a) excellent and well done for jumping straight back in at the deep end, and b) new material after a fair break will always feel particularly brutal - but the next couple of sessions should be gradually less painful… :sunny:

This!!!
When I was living in Kent and commuting/walking to work, I would sub-vocalise when I was learning. The only time I ever used full-vocal was when I was driving to Wales for breaks away and bootcamp!
This method does work, and in the colder months you could use your scarf to cover your mouth so lip-readers won’t think you’re talking to yourself (although they will probably think you’re from another country if they did!).

1 Like

I’m usually (in the mornings definitely!) packed onto the tram like a sardine with my nose in someone’s armpit, so I don’t know how well talking aloud would go… Might get me some more room as people try and edge away from me I guess! I can certainly listen through headphones, which I’ll try, but not sure it’ll sink in as well if I don’t say it out loud.

I couldn’t remember where I was up to when life took over, so I pressed Lesson 5 at guess. Given I recognised basically all of it I’d say I had done it before, so going to press ahead to Lesson 6 next.

I’ve also promised myself at least 5 minutes of stretching a day (I will do the splits this year!) so going to use that time to listen to the listening exercises and Growth Club chats.

2 Likes

You could have a shot at kind of whispering it at the back of your mouth without letting your lips move much - that will almost certainly work pretty much as well as out loud - having said that, if your tram experience is a bit stressful/unrelaxing, that might not be the best time for it after all. Great that you can plug the listening exercises/Growth Club stuff in with your stretching - excellent win-win… :sunny:

Argh, Growth Club! New one tomorrow, I promise… :sunny:

2 Likes

It’s not particularly stressful anymore, I’ve got used to it. It’s just… not the best commute for someone who doesn’t like small spaces!

I’ll have a go tomorrow on my way to work and see how it goes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Brought smile to my face … :slight_smile:

But not to mine, though!! I had to go to the dentist today and have two fillings (one of which was slightly painful) - and then take Beuno to hospital for a chat with a child psychologist of some kind (who looked far too young to be a real doctor, which I suppose is a worrying warning sign that I’m getting old).

So I haven’t done the Growth Club again today… :crying_cat_face:

But as SSiW is my witness, it will be the very first thing I do tomorrow morning. :blush:

2 Likes