Hello from Patagonia

Dw i’n hoffi iawn dy carthen gyda popeth Cymreig, lliwiau goch, gwyn a gwyrdd,yn enwedig y blodau ceninen pedr. Da iawn.

Apologies… just got carried away, practising Welsh now most days.I said I like the blanket very much - Welsh colours green, white and red, especially the daffodil flowers. I would like to know how to post a picture on this site to share with you. I need all the help i can get. Diolch Menna

When you open the posting box, you should see (directly above where you’ll be typing your answer) a row of options - quote, bold, italics, and so on - about half-way through those, there is a symbol like an arrow pointing upwards - hover over it, and you should see ‘upload’ - that’s what you’re looking for… :slight_smile:

Diolch, Aran. I’ve found the whole thing. So easy when you know how, isn’t it? I’ll get on to it straight away. Diolch un waith eto.

1 Like

Hello Sibila,
Thanks to Aran I will be able to upload a photo or two for your pleasure in the meantime I’ve been busy finding as much information on Patgonia as possible. We have chosen to come out in our Spring - February and March so expect that to be going into your autumn, perhaps. To have an idea of the type of clothing suitable for that time of year would be a tremendous help Sibila if you could help, please.

Our trip starts in Buenos Aires, of course and very soonafter, we’ll be off to Esquel … from there we transfer to Trevelin and visit a mill, school and chapel followed by a Welsh tea! We will visit Los Alcares National Park maybe get to see a 2,600 year old tree and a glimpse of the festival site.There’s a round trip to Trevelin via the road of .the Riflemen (los Rifleros).Then there’s some entertainment- free time.
There are a few days at the festival, we await the full programme but I expect it will be along the lines of the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol. Some more time in Esquel and then a transfer to Gualjaina via Nant y Pyscod. We cross the desert following the route of the discoverers of Cwm Hyfryd from Gualjaina to Los Altares stopping at a school which is a base for paleontological expeditions. There is more variety …site of a murder, visit to a cemetery, the Ameghino dam, a walk about in Gaiman and another dinner in a restaurant. After a morning in Trelew, we visit a school, a chapel and a dinosaur museum. To follow, is a tour of the countryside around Gaiman, visiting another chapel and then we have an ‘asado’ at a farm owned by a Welsh speaking farmer. The following day we have a full day at Porth Madryn, while on the morning of the 12/03. we will be at a chapel service in Gaiman. After an early lunch in Trelew we will be tranferred to Buenos Aires and taken to our hotel. From there on the 13th we take a late flight and arrive in London- breakfast time the following day. WOW!
There is something in this trip for everyone - we are very pleased because as retired teachers the school visits will be interesting, as once we were chapel- goers and to one called Moriah in particular, those visits will be apt. The fossil museum will be good for my husband who studied geology, paleontology and anthropology. The music and verse, dancing at the festival etc, will all be a fantastic experience and I hope we’ll be able to understand and be understood by the people we meet.
I am gleaning more and more information, listening to Renée Griffiths CD and reading his book; reading Matthew Rhys book about 4/5 weeks journey on horseback crossing the dessert; Bruce Chatwin’s book and so on.
I must stop here …story to be continued and post the photos, I promised. Until next time, Hwyl am y tro, Hasta la proxima vez etc.
Menna

2 Likes

Hmmm, I love Welsh cakes!!!
Unfortunately, they are not known around here. I have first tasted them during my first trip to Wales.
And I fell in love with them. and now I make them at home.
And Bara Brith which is also fairly unknown in Patagonia.
They sell us something called “torta galesa”, which is a quite common souvenir that people would buy for family and friends.

Your trip sounds very interesting. a lot of the places that you mention I haven’t seen either.
For example I haven’t seen Esquel yet, but I guess sometime I will.
Are you familiar with Butch Cassidy? That’s where he was hiding!!!

It sounds like you will be spending St Davids day in Patagonia! How exciting!

In Gaiman you should ask them about the place where Lady Di had Welsh tea with her Egyptian boy-friend
only a few weeks before her death.

In February/March at least until the 15th it is actually still quite hot in the area of Puerto Madryn.
It seems quite unbelievable for many Europeans that although we are so far in the South and very close to Punta Tombo,the country’s biggest penguin colony that in our summers we actually get temperatures of up to 40 degrees Celsius during the day. Sometimes the beaches in Puerto Madryn get so hot, that it is impossible to walk on the sand.
By the middle of March nights tend to get chilly, but days are still quite hot. so you should rather prepare for summer temperatures. We are living in a semi-desertic area, so do not expect a lot of rain in the Puerto Madryn area.
I would assume it is a bit colder in Esquel, as it is a mountain village, but not a whole lot.
But I will ask my landlord, they have a holiday home in the area and go there frecuently for fishing and kayaking, so they should have a fairly good idea.

sorry, if I did not reply earlier, today was my last day in the office before the beginning of my vacations.
And actually the last day wasn’t what I expected. I had anticipated a quiet day and I had to participate in an exchange program with a different department, so all my atention was needed.

I had intentionally chosen the Welsh colors for my blanket as I like to decorate according to the seasons. So for St Davids or the 28th of July, the day the Mimosa landed in Puerto Madryn I decorate my place in the Welsh colors and cook Welsh dishes.
Your day in Puerto Madryn sounds pretty much like a free day or will they take you around?
In case you need a guide for that day, let me know, because that’s where I live!!!

Well, I will be disconnected for 2 days now, because I was on a business trip and I am about to embark my airplane and travel back home!!! and as it is a lovely place I am really looking forward to it.
And I am pretty sure that you will also fall in love with Patagonia!!! its landscapes and its people!!!

Un abrazo fuerte

Sibila

PS: you should consider visiting Peninsula Valdes, as you will be in the area for all the Welsh attractions.
the Peninsula is considered UNESCO World heritage due to its natural beauty.
And it is a great spot for watching killer whales. Trips are not very cheap, but worthwhile.
There is no guarantee for sure, but late February to early April is the best season for trying.

1 Like

Hello Sibila,

The Welsh colony in Patagonia is a subject that has always interested and fascinated me and I have a lot of books about it in both Welsh and Spanish.

A couple of years ago I helped the daughter of a friend of mine in Italy write a thesis about it for her doctorate at the University of Turin.

I was in Argentina earlier this year but unfortunately did not make it to Patagonia; maybe next time.

Regards,

Ian

1 Like

Shw mae Sibila,
Just a quick message with apologies for neglecting this site. I 've just returned from a visit to North America… a trip to see New England in the Fall. There are not enough words to describe the experience. We were known as ‘Tree seekers’ and ‘Leaf Peepers’ - wonderful colours of the leaves and the scenery was beautiful. Now I can fully concentrate on next year’s visit and give Welsh and Spanish my undivided attention. It was an interesting observation, whilst in New England, the number of people I met who claimed to have a Welsh connection. Either it was an ancestor from way back or else they had made a recent trip to ‘Mae hen wlad fy nhadau’. I was proud to explain that Wales has its own language as well as English!

Must end here as I am going to a Harvest Supper (Swper Cynhaeaf) with my Petersfield Welsh Society (Cymdeithas Cymraeg, Maespedr).

Dymuniadau gorau,

Menna

1 Like

Shw mae Menna,

don’t worry. Sounds like a fascinating trip. And a rather romantic one…
I am really surprised to find out through this website that Welsh people seem to be spread out all over the world.
The US, Canada, Australia…
I wasn’t aware of that before. Well, when the Welsh came to Argentina, the idea was to be far away from an English speaking community so there would be no temptation for falling back to the English language as a means of communication. and thus the hoped to ensure the survival of the Welsh language.
Unfortunately, some of our not so fortunate settlers decided to leave Patagonia and then went on to Canada.

is the Harvest Supper a Welsh tradition? something similar to Thanksgiving? are there any typical dishes they you would prepare for such a Harvest Supper? I just love to learn about traditions and customs that have been passed on through generations.

Take care

Sibila

Hello Ian,

Patagonia is definitely worth a visit. Especially if you have read so much about the Welsh settlements.

It is important to keep in mind though that the local population has a very different view of history than the Europeans who even as kids need to dedicate a great deal of time to the extensive study of European history.

Unfortunately, history and heritage are not much cared for in the South. So I am still waiting for the Welsh museum to reopen… It has been over a year now and nobody is even working on the construction site. But nobody seems to bother either. Just me.

But I am sure it would definitely be a great experience for you to stand on the ground where the first Welsh settlers in Patagonia have lived, feel the harsh weather conditions in the South and thus get a more complete picture of the history.
Breathe the same air for a moment.

Unfortunately, I had the impression that the Welsh I had the pleasure to meet in Wales knew more about the settlements in Patagonia than my own Argentinian neighbours. and somehow that makes me sad.

If one day you plan on going to Patagonia, let me know,

Take care

Sibila

1 Like

Shw mae Sibila and everyone beutiful people!
It’s been a long time since I enter to the forum, I wanted to make an apologize!
I really missed you, but I was so busy with my studies!
I just want to let you know Sibila that I’m actually from Santa Fe, so you’re not alone here in Argentina! We are a little far, but no sooo far… :smile:
I met the welsh culture on 2012, watching a rugby match from Six Nations Tournament! (BIG YEAR, GRAND SLAM! By the way!)
And since then I wanted to know about that nation, people and culture on every way posible.

I’m so happy to find a person who are from my country, sharing with the same enthusiasm this beautiful culture!

Saludos, cheers! :blush:

Ara

1 Like

You were quite right to put your study first! Croeso’n ol!
Diolch yn fawr for signing the petition. I do hope you can get S4C International in Santa Fe and I wish it covered more of the programs!

Hello Araceli

I spent a month in Argentina earlier this year and although I didn’t make it to Patagonia I had a wonderful time in Buenos Aires and Entre Rios… I hope I can go again soon and for longer and visit places lke Trelew. Gaiman and Dolavon and perhaps the town of Roberts in the province of Buenos Aires.

I have been interested in Welsh for many years and although I can read and write it quite well I’m not so good on the oral and comprehension side. At the moment I’m translating a Welsh course into Spanish to send to a friend of mine in Buenos Aires whose grandfather came from Wales but went to Rosario to sell Welsh coal to the railways instead of Patagonia…

Best regards,

Ian Roberts.

1 Like

Hello Ian!
Actually, Entre Rios is next to Santa Fe! Glad to know you spend a big time here!
Im quite sure some welsh came to the south and north of Santa Fe because we have a little bit similar weather like Wales! I was so happy when I found that!
And in San Javier (in the north of the province), there was a colony called “Pájaro Blanco” (White Bird, I dont know how is in welsh sorry). Founded by David Morgan, when he traveled from Patagonia to Santa Fe! Actually Im looking for more info!
Hope you come to visit very soon!!

Ps. I speak in Spanish, learning the Welsh trough the English! Its hard sometimes!

Cheers! x

Araceli.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr to you all for allow the sign petition! Because I found so much useful watching the TV shows while you hear and learn how to pronounce too!! The words and the sound become more familiar! It helps so much while you are taking the course!

3 Likes

Diolch i ti for signing! We all gain if it works and the more clear it becomes that our old language (hen iaith) has support world-wide, the better!!

1 Like

Helo Sibila, shw mae, Guten Tag, wie geht es Ihnen?

It’s been a time since our last contact. The Harvest Supper was a good opportunity to catch up with friends and chat whilst we ate and enjoyed a glass of wine. Food on this occasion was not necessarily Welsh although we have provided Welsh Cakes and Teisan Lap at other times. One of our meetings was devoted to using recipes from Wales and included Faggots and Peas, Lava bread, Cockles from Penclawdd and Teisan 'Falau etc. Normally our monthly meetings are based on something to do with Wales; Place names; Souvenirs of Wales; Italians in Wales; Favourite Photos of Wales; Quizzes; On March 1st we hold our annual St David’s Day Dinner in a local hostelry with a choice of 3 course, including Leek and Potato Soup, roast Lamb and Apple Tart. We sometimes have guest speakers to come, who charge a fee or claim travelling expenses. Or else ‘in-house speakers’, willing individuals/members who will entertain us for an hour and do not charge. Every monthly meeting, a team of different ladies provide refreshments and make a cup of tea/coffee to be enjoyed after the evening’s entertainment and before we face the flag and sing the Welsh National Anthem. Members will go on a visit to places of interest and take afternoon tea in June and in July when the weather is hopefully better, a BBQ is held in a member’s garden. No meeting in August so December is the time we get our voices tuned up to sing carols in both languages, accompanied by a local Salvation Army band. Different members will read the holy Scripture telling the birth of Jesus in Welsh and English together with other musical items.
It’s a thriving little society and a few of us who have lived in England for so long, are trying to relearn and practise our Welsh before it is too late. Gwell hwyr na hwyrach!

1 Like

¡Hola! Araceli,

Good to find you on here, too. I am trying to improve my Spanish as well as learn some more Welsh in time for my trip to Buenos Aires and Patagonia next year. I believe the Welsh for White bird is ´Aderyn wyn´. Maybe someone can confirm this or correct it. Diolch, Gracias.

2 Likes

Aderyn wyn = white bird Yes!

1 Like

Actually, it’s aderyn gwyn - no need for a ‘softening’ there as aderyn is masculine. If you think of the common Welsh word for a blackbird - aderyn du - it helps to remind you.

3 Likes