Hello From Arizona

S’ Mae! Dw i Sarah Jenkins. I see on the SSIW map that there are a few folks from Arizona, USA. I would love to connect. I was born in St. Asaph North Wales and went to school there, but moved away before getting the opportunity to learn. I still go back and visit friends and family every couple of years. Due to my ever awareness and felt sense of “hiraeth” (nostalgia) for the home of my birth, I am diving into learning Welsh. I am currently on Lesson 3 of the New Level 1. If you are interested in getting in touch. Please reach out to me!

Diolch!
Sarah Jenkins

S’mae Sarah.

My in-laws lived in St Asaph for the last 10 years or so of their lives, so I got to know it reasonably well. Unfortunately, since their passing, we don’t have much reason to go there any more. It’s a lovely little place. My in laws lived near the cathedral which is rather charming. My wife’s brother lives in Henllan which is between there and Denbigh, so we still get to that general part of the world now and again.

Good luck with your Welsh, and with finding fellow learners in Arizona.

Hwyl,
Mike

S’ Mae Mike a Diolch!

Yes, the St. Asaph cathedral is wonderful and the school I went to was nearby. I also know Henllan fairly well as I had a dear friend who lived there. I appreciate your supportive message about learning Welsh and for the personal connection to St. Asaph. See you on the forums :slight_smile:

Hwyl,
Sarah

1 Like

I was born in St Asaph too, and grew up in Prestatyn, but now in Scotland. And my brother lived in Henllan for a while. Keep going with the Welsh, it’s quite addictive. And there you are, trying to connect with Arizona people and so far we’re sharing your St Asaph nostalgia trip.

1 Like

S’Mae “PollyPolly”

Love it! Finding connections to my North Wales roots is wonderful! Now, how to find those folks who ended up in the desert like me. Goodness knows how I did that having come from the beautiful green of Wales! :smile: Thanks for the supportive words about learning Welsh.

Diolch!
Sarah

A very warm welcome to the forum, Sarah! :star:

We need to do more to help people in different areas find each other, but being active on the forum is a great way to start to build the networks that will (eventually!) lead to finding other local-ish learners :sunny:

Diolch Aran! I’m just back from holiday so will now start diving in!

1 Like