Hello from a new Welsh speaker!

Hi everyone!
Started SSiW last week. The course is great! Just finished lesson 3 successfully and can repeat many of the phrases from memory. So I guess that makes me a Welsh speaker! LOL Seriously, this is the best language course I’ve ever done. In addition to the lessons, I listen to Radio Cymru and watch videos in the “The Big Welsh Challenge” (without subtitles). I love listening to Welsh, even though I can understand maybe 10 words when I’m listening to the radio. But that’s fine, I can only improve from here.

Hwyl !

13 Likes

Great to hear you’re off to such an excellent start! :star: :star2:

And with an attitude like that, you’re clearly going to achieve great things… :sunny:

4 Likes

Croeso yma @Pwyll.

You came to the right place because you’ll learn a lot especially with your attitude and enthusiasm. And, you’ve probably read elswhere on this forum … if you encounter barrier in learning or you’re happy about what you learn and what you acheave … we’re happy to hear it both … in the first case here’s always someone to help and in second … YAY! :smiley: … We are always happy when acheavements and improvements are made or when one managed to have their first ever conversation or similar … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, Aran !

I’m really enjoying the course. I was especially encouraged at one point when you say, “Now you can say one sentence fluently. It’s only a matter of learning more useful sentences!” Of course, I can do that! Really takes the pressure off.

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome and encourgagement, tatjana !

2 Likes

It’s always great to hear when any of the encouragement hits home… diolch! :sunny:

1 Like

Croeso, Pwyll! Sounds like you are doing great! I agree that SSiW is the best way to learn - and so much fun :slight_smile: Dal ati!

3 Likes

Diolch, AnnaC ! I agree, it’s great fun. Tried learning Irish the “traditional” way some time ago. An awfully frustrating experience. Finally getting off on the right foot with Cymraeg.

2 Likes

Shwmae a croeso (Hello and welcome).
This is the best place on Earth. Glad to have you aboard.

3 Likes

Croeso! Glad you are here with us and thanks for posting, I can feel your enthusiasm from you post and it is a real boost to be reminded that enthusiasm takes you a long way! Diolch

1 Like

@craigf and @a_jay

Thanks for the welcome! I’m starting to feel right at home. :grinning:

3 Likes

And you are at home … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all, I’ve just recently started the course also. I’ve got to lesson 6 but I’ve probably forgotten more than I remember, but ploughing on. I have been talking to myself trying to construct sentences in Welsh. I even woke up the other day and first thing I thought had a Welsh word in it. LOL!

6 Likes

Well that’s a great sign that you’re doing the work, and you’re building the memories - don’t worry, they take time to form (which is why you feel as though you’re forgetting stuff) - but the process is clearly working for you if you’re getting random Welsh words popping into your head… :sunny:

And a warm welcome to the forum… :sunny:

1 Like

Croeso, Nina! Just wait until you wake up to discover you were speaking Welsh in your dreams! :slight_smile: Dal ati, and keep us posted on how your Welsh journey goes!

3 Likes