Hello from a new user

That’s a hugely impressive rate of acquisition - if you keep on making and taking chances to use your Spanish, you should have some big wins over the next month or so… :thumbsup: :star2:

1 Like

My goodness - lesson 10 was difficult. You raced through the new stuff just before going back to the level 1 revision. Phew.

The pain will be worth it, I promise… :slight_smile:

So, last night I completed Level 2 Challenge 15 - funny thing is, the challenges where you give a warning that it is particularly intense are often the ones I find most straight forward, almost relaxing!

It did prompt me to finally share a bit of constructive criticism I have though. During the session you highlighted that “esso” might sometimes be “essa” - possibly the first time this is highlighted explicitly. For a while I have been considering pointing out the lack of attention paid in the course to grammatical gender in Spanish. I’m fine with it not being explained in such terms (I can appreciate how the terminology can make people panic, and apart from convention I don’t think using the term gender does anyone any favours), but there is no attention drawn to the fact that a woman should be changing adjectives like “contento” to “contenta” when talking about herself. Even Rosa doesn’t consistently use the gender appropriate forms (I imagine she is reading from a script?).

As a male, talking about myself based on the modelled language hasn’t been a problem, but there is also very little context to tell the learner they should modify adjectives depending on who they are speaking to - which maybe could be embarrassing to either the learner or the conversation partner.

Perhaps if the lessons get updated at some point, or if you add other languages with gender distinctions, these things could be done a bit differently?

1 Like

Oh, that sounds like a misunderstanding… thanks for the heads-up. We’ve been having an interesting time trying to solve gender differences in our course creation tool - haven’t quite finished solving some of the trickier issues, but at some point when we have, we’ll certainly want to do some fine-tuning with the existing Spanish stuff…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Just had a random online chat in Spanish :). It probably seemed a bit weird from the other end because I couldn’t remember the keyboard combinations for the various accents etc. (I used to know where they were, but muscle memory goes to umläute now), but it made me proud (or should I say, orgulloso) :).

Tomorrow I’m moving on to challenge 20…

2 Likes

Enhorabuena,

2 Likes

Graçias :slight_smile:

I must say, I think @aran is pushing the limits of confidence in teaching us how to demand our money back ;). Not that I could ask… I kept messing up the ending of one of the words in that phrase. I’m sure it will sink in over night though.

1 Like

Phew…:wink:

1 Like