Hello everybody

Hello. I am giving learning Welsh another go with SSiW! I am a native Welshman from the, sadly, English speaking part of Mid Wales. I’m on lesson 6. I like how the course is structured, I find it hard to stop my brain trying to see the spellings in my head (probably because I’m more used to seeing Welsh words than hearing them!).

3 Likes

Helo a chroeso i’r fforwm! Although I’ve just finished the second course, my ability to spell in Welsh is still extremely limited (i.e. poor). I believe it all starts to fall into place a little bit at a time though. Good for you for giving Welsh another go!
-Jason

2 Likes

Croeso yma @Y_Ddraig_Las. Obviously you’re doing well and I know the success will continue although you might have some ups and downs from time to time. When this happen, you’re welcome to post your problems and difficulties. Here’s always someone who can help you.

Happy learning!

Hwyl!

2 Likes

Paid a phoenu.

I don’t think it’s a disadvantage at all to know how the words are spelt. Just go with it, and continue enjoying the course.

Hwyl am y tro,
M.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I was the same as you and used to seeing Welsh road signs etc. I think it is an advantage too! :smile:

3 Likes

Croeso from the aged crone of the forum and one who learned Cymraeg in the old-fashioned way before you were born (probably!).
I do not think being able to spell is a disadvantage. It will be a considerable advantage in future when you want to read!!

3 Likes

A warm welcome to the forum, and good luck with your second round in the battle! As Iestyn is fond of saying, it’s not how many times you stop, it’s how many times you start again that decides whether or not you win… :sunny:

3 Likes

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I wasn’t suggesting knowing spellings was a disadvantage, all knowledge is good!
The thing is, having grown up in Wales, been taught Welsh in school, then various evening classes, etc, I have a lot of knowledge of Welsh, but it’s buried deep in my mind, so when I hear a Welsh sentence, for example on S4C or Radio Cymru, I can understand it, but by that time I do, things have moved on.
What I like about this is the rapid repetition of similar phrases, so they become automatic, it is helping a lot. It like learning a musical instrument, like how everyone can play the piano, by pressing the notes in order, but to be a good pianist, you need to be able to progress to not think about what your hands are doing, they will play the right notes automatically. My previous courses have perhaps been too heavy on grammar and mutations, being criticised for not using the best sentence, rather than praise for making sense. Being able to actual hold a conversation, is more important, the finer detail and breadth of language will come later.

4 Likes

Croeso! I know what you mean, I tend to see words in my head, too! Although this wasn’t a problem when I started out, because I live in the US and had had zero prior exposure to Welsh :slight_smile: Sounds like you are doing great! As Tatjana says, don’t ever hesitate to ask a question on the forum - everyone here is kind and helpful.

Pob lwc!

1 Like

Once, when I remembered a lot more than I do now, I went with my ‘Auntie’ to the funeral of a Parchedig we knew. We sat in the gallery and she wanted me to translate it, because she had been raised before, I think, children were taught Cymraeg unless they went to Welsh Chapel, which her family didn’t.
I could understand most of what was said, but I couldn’t translate, because if I tried, I missed what came next! I totally sympathise with your experience!!

1 Like