Gwethio yn Gymraeg

Shwmae pawb :smiley:

Dwi’n meddwl y byddaf yn mynd i Faes B ym mis Awst. Mae y gwaith fan hyn yn gwaith bar. Mae cwestiwn gyda fi: beth ydy’r prisiau yn Gymraeg?

Er enghraifft:

Yw ‘tri deg phunt tri deg’ (£3.30 neu ‘un deg pedwar phunt deg’ (£14.10) yn wir?

Once more in English with a bit more detail:

I’m thinking of going to Maes B in August and working behind a bar. I wanted to know how you read out prices in Welsh as my opportunity to practice Welsh is quite limited. I wanted to know how the price is said (I will probably make a few mistakes with the dreaded mutations here of course). At present I am only thinking about this as my understanding is quite good, and I’m keen to practice my Welsh, but I will leave it for another time if my Welsh isn’t yet up to it.

Diolch yn fawr!

The price itself is pretty straight-forward, you say the amount of pounds followed by punt, then the pennies followed by ceiniog. If you worry about being correct, keep in mind that both punt and ceiniog are feminine, so for numbers two to four use the feminine variants. There are also aspirate mutations after the numbers three and six (if you want to be super correct).
So some examples: £1.50 - punt pum deg ceiniog
£2.80 - dwy bunt wyth deg ceiniog
£3.30 - tair phunt tri deg ceiniog
£4.60 - pedair punt chwe deg ceiniog
And so on. If you have follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask :slight_smile:

6 Likes

One very useful word I’ve learnt recently is “namyn” meaning less or minus when dealing with figures so …

Dwy bunt namyn ceiniog = £1.99
Chwe phunt namyn swllt = £5.95 (swllt being shilling)

I don’t hear it that often but isn’t it wonderful?!

6 Likes

Except that in reality prices are given in English at the Maes B bar. It would be a refreshing change for the service to be fully bilingual though!

2 Likes

The ‘minus’ thing is very useful as I imagine it comes up all of the time.

That’s a shame but the job advert was definitely for Welsh speakers!

Efallai bydd pethau’n wahanol eleni :wink:

1 Like