Ground to a halt!

Ok @aran you’ve sent me enough worried emails. Although time has been a big factor over the last 2/3 weeks with the festivities and travels, I seem to have ground to a halt about a third of the way through level 3. I’m finding things a bit faster and different to the first 2 levels and can’t seem to remember much from one challenge to the next. I’m, therefore feeling things swallowing me up. The daft thing is that I’ve finally found some Welsh speakers in my locality in Switzerland and met up with them before Christmas. Although I was a bit overwhelmed by the mix of North and South I was actually able to converse and understand to a point. If I’m honest, it’s only in the last few weeks that I’ve been able to get any actual speaking practise at all and that’s maybe held me back a bit. I enjoy listening to Radio Cymru quite a bit and find that very helpful. I now need some motivation to get back on track. I feel betwixt and between. Also, on another difficulty, and I am a bit of a techno numpty, I can’t seem to find Deepend on Slack.

1 Like

I think this is mostly about perception - it actually sounds as though you’re doing brilliantly! If you were able to converse and understand (even if not everything) in realtime, you’re doing excellently - so if you just manage to work through the challenges in the Deep End (even if you need to take a break for a few weeks between each week of effort) you will get to increasing levels of proficiency and ease of use…

Maybe if you set yourself a prize to aim for it would help you get going again? When you’ve done another four weeks of tasks/challenges for the Deep End, you’ll treat yourself to a meal out, or something like that? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with Aran. I’m confused. You’ve just spelt out how successful your learning is. You can talk to people. Go with that. Do some more of it.

You also say that you listen to Welsh language radio. So, you can speak and understand the language (ok, not everything, but enough to be well on your way). I think sometimes we forget that speaking and understanding Welsh is the goal, not completing a course in a set amount of time.

But then, maybe I’m just saying that because I STILL haven’t finished Level 3 (shhhh! - don’t tell Iestyn!)

3 Likes

Or maybe just a break to let sink in and settle the huge amount of things you’ve already poured into your brain?
Sometimes it feels just like laziness, but it might be your brain asking for mercy. And when you start again everything suddenly seems to flow so much better!

2 Likes

I actually just redid the last lesson I’d done today to try to get back in the groove. I think you’re probably spot on with my brain asking for mercy! It did flow better although I still get irritated when I can’t remember things… the perfection trap I guess. Onwards and upwards.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, of course.

Thanks Aran. I think I was disappointed I couldn’t get through level three as easily as the one and two. It’s not called the deep end for nothing, is it? I shall take my time.

1 Like

Oh, yes! This!! It’s like the pause in revs when you put your foot on the clutch to change gear. When the accelerator goes back on, you’re suddenly cruising. I love phases like that!

3 Likes

Exactly that - you’re into such a wider sea of possibilities, the likelihood of ‘correct’ answers inevitably goes down and down - but the value of trying, thinking, getting one option (or not) and then hearing another remains far, far higher than it feels - this IS the hard work that makes the language more and more natural for you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, joy. Lot’s of other people in the same boat. I am very sorry if you have ground to a halt or are in the dumps or deeply despondent or even, like me so old you worry you are losing your marbles. But the joy and encouragement of finding I am not alone. Moreover, if I just hang in there it will all come right in the end. This morning I wanted to say something from months ago. “I’ve still got to say something else.” I had no idea in what order to put the first six words and got into a real panic! At which point I was saved by Aran’s e mail! Diolch yn fawr iawn to all my friends and encouragers out there. Here’s to a much more fluent New Year.

3 Likes