Greetings from Canada – My goal: Welsh in one year!

Hello!

I’m very grateful to have found this site, and my thanks go out to Aran, Catrin, Iestyn and Cat. I have only just begun, but I must say that I find the lessons to be easy to follow, rewarding, and quite fruitful.

My goal is an ambitious one. I aim to be reasonably fluent in Northern Welsh in a single year. I enjoy visiting Wales every year or so, having just returned from another stay at Portmeirion and I plan to be able to converse in Welsh by the time I return, which I hope will be approximately a year from now.

Thanks once again for putting together such a great site. I’m very excited about the journey ahead!

Andrew

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Andrew:) And - good luck. I think, with SSIW, this is a very realistic goal. There are people here who are willing to practise Welsh on skype too, if you want to practise speaking before actually visiting Wales.

4 Likes

@seren said it all so I’ll just say Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your learning.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

Beautiful place, if not quite typical of anything but eccenticity!!
Croeso i’r Forum! I’m sure you will achieve your aim!

3 Likes

That’s a great aim, Andrew - check in on here regularly to let us know how you’re going, and we’ll help keep pushing you on… :sunny:

If you do two new sessions a week, you’ll be through all our currently available material in 25 weeks - but by that stage, we’ll have the Level 2 listening exercises and a fair chunk of Level 3 ready for you - and you’ll also be ready to add as many conversation partners as possible to the mix.

I’d also recommend listening to Radio Cymru (even just for 10 minutes a day) from the very beginning, if you can get comfortable with letting it wash over you without feeling good/bad about what you do/don’t recognise…

Good luck! Pob lwc!.. :sunny:

3 Likes

Karla from Australia came to visit Wales recently after learning Welsh for 6 months. She spent a month in Wales speaking Welsh almost everywhere she went, so 1 year sounds infinitely doable! I look forward to meeting you if you are in the Llandysul area.

3 Likes

Good Luck Andrew, as everyone else has already said, one year is a realistic target to be able to converse quite happily. Also, welcome to the forum! :smile:

1 Like

A great aim, and definitely do-able. Pob lwc!

1 Like

Even on TV on S4C!
Which reminds me, have you signed the petition
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/non-residents-of-wales-ask-for-s4c-funding-to-be-maintained.html
It is for folk outside Wales who watch S4C but are not counted on viewing figures gathered by the UK Government!