Goal Setting

Thanks @AnthonyCusack this is really helpful. I have been working though it over the last few days and this is what I’ve come up with: I have copied your post in inserted my own information. I hope it will give me insight into my progress as well, rather than feeling great one day and useless the next!

Goal want to speak Welsh fluently

It’s an excellent goal. Problem with this is that it’s easy to become disconnected from the goal. It’s not specific and it’s long-term.
So what can we do to improve this goal?
Firstly we can become connected to our goal. Start by asking yourself why? and repeating this 3 times with a new answer each time.

I want to speak Welsh fluently
why? So that I can speak to local people in their first language and experience welsh culture directly
Why? Because its not right that people have to switch to English because of me.
Why? Because I feel embarrassed not being able to converse fluently.
Why? Because I misunderstand things and miss important parts of the conversations

Next: We can break our goal into short term goals and processes. Short term goals can be monthly, weekly, daily and even hourly.

So, I want to speak Welsh fluently
Short term goal -
I want to re-do old course 3 in 4 weeks – I have 19 more to do which is 5 per week. I need to extend my understanding and vocabulary through the advanced content.
I want to complete this on a weekly basis. I need to listen for 30 minutes. Read the transcription. Listen for 30 minutes Read translation , listen for 30 minutes.
Processes and habits:
I will do one lesson each weekday on way to work.
At the weekend I will listen to the advance lesson when I walk the dog then read the transcript or translation when I get back home.
I will spend some time each week speaking with a Welsh speaker: need to set this up with one or more friends.
Weekly dosbarth Cymraeg in Bala nos Llun.
At the end of the first period you might assess your success.?
Listen again to advanced content – has it become any easier.
What about Radio Cymru?
New short term goal –
Keep Diary?

3 Likes

This is in the right direction and revisiting the same stuff can work but it is also slightly disconnected from the original goal of speaking fluently. So make sure conversation is the focus of your re-evaluation

2 Likes

Good point I hadn’t even noticed that

3 Likes

Pam?