Go on then...I give in - Aran's farewell phrase

What does Aran’s farewell phrase translate to…it sounds like da fo na tro…or similar! Again no doubt it’s a 10 second answer. It seems like a ‘see you next time’ kind of thing but I haven’t been able to pin it down! Thanks in advance.

I think what Iestyn says is something like Da bor am y tro (nesaf). See you (next) time?

2 Likes

I think Aran uses hwyl am y tro and I understand that as “bye for now”.

3 Likes

I think the first part is usually written as “da bo”.

We talked about that in another thread which I can’t find for the minute.
But it may be short for “da boch chi” which I think is something like “may good be with you”.

I think there were some fuller explanations in the other thread, if anyone can find it.

3 Likes

Aha. Yes I can see it - it was discussed very recently actually on the 7th Nov. I did look previously thinking it was likely to have been asked - I obviously hadn’t quite mastered the search feature! Hm interesting. Thank you.

1 Like

I understand it as “may you be good” with boch the old subjunctive “may you be”.

2 Likes

Hi Rich! Is this from the tail of the lessons? Nothing springs to mind, but it looks as though it might have been ‘Dyna fo am y tro’ (a bit like ‘There we are for now’) if it’s not Philip’s suggestion of ‘Hwyl am y tro’ (cheers/bye for now kind of thing)… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If we’re talking subjunctives, this may be a mission for SuperGareth! @garethrking :slight_smile:

Anyone who knows me knows I like an occasional subjunctive. Like an occasional table, but rather more hypothetical…

6 Likes

Les Barker, comic poet from Manchester, now in Wales and learned Welsh once he arrived, has a thing to say about occasional tables.

7 Likes