Geraint and his webbed phalanges (aka odd mini-lessons)

So I innocently thought I’d offer to do a few mini-video-lessons on Twitter, if anyone had any interesting phrases they’d like to learn - and of course the most popular is Geraint’s deeply peculiar ‘get your webbed phalanges off my boots’…

You can see the results here:

If any of you have anything more sane, feel free to drop them in here - we’re going to be taking the ones with the most likes each week from Twitter, but I wouldn’t be averse to trying to do some extra ones in here.

And it’s a huge thanks to @TroyHughes for the quite superb video work… :star: :star2:

17 Likes

YAY @TroyHughes! Fantastic! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The title of this forum thread is really cracking me up. :laughing:

3 Likes

I happen to think that that was a very sane suggestion, apart from, maybe, the word ‘falanges’ everything about that sentence is extremely useful and not covered in the main courses to my knowledge. So … you’re welcome. :joy:

Now then, what shall I suggest next time …

5 Likes

Hysbyseb ardderchog am SSiW. Doniol iawn, hefyd.

Rwan, sut i feddwl am rywbeth i ddilyn hynna.

1 Like

Absolutely hysterical! I really need to know in what context you use this sentence, @gruntius! Could not stop laughing, which doesn’t make pronouncing “fy mwstias i” any easier :smile: The video is brilliant!

When I need cheering up I will sometimes listen to the SSiW rugby lesson, or Lesson 6 Bonus, which never fail to make me laugh. (By combining these, I can tell people trying to park their giraffes that they are rubbish, or blind - handy Welsh, indeed.) Now I can add this to the list :smile: (Which has me thinking…I don’t remember seeing the rugby lesson on the new site…@kinetic?)

1 Like

Being that Twitter bored me silly and stopped using it several years back, I would throw a sentence in for Lessonifying (the verbing of lesson continues!) via the forum:
“Leave me alone Baldrick, if I wanted to talk to a vegetable, I would’ve bought one at the market.”
(I do like me some Blackadder)
I could make it easier on you and let you leave out Baldrick. :laughing: :joy:

PS: And I would definitely have to do the video for that one!

5 Likes

Ah, yes, we probably need to dig the rugby lesson out of cold storage at some point… :sunny:

Troy, good work sir - I can see that as an early front runner…

Now I just need to figure out how to get the video tool to play neatly with the text - more careful listeners will have noticed that there’s no gap before the Welsh a few times right at the end, which was about the tool misbehaving, so we need to crack that…

But I’m very glad to see that other people find this kind of fun too… :sunny:

1 Like

If you want I can do fine tunning while others do the videos and you record a narations. How long gap (in seconds) do you want/need?

Well, this is just a suggestion though.

1 Like

I really appreciate that, Tatjana - diolch! The problem, though, is that Content Samurai trims the recordings - so if we have ‘English + pause’, it cuts off the pause, and if we try ‘pause + Welsh’, it still cuts off the pause…

So we’re going to have to use ‘English + pause + Welsh 1’ and then record the second Welsh phrase on the actual Welsh sentence. It’s a bit fiddly, but we’ll get the hang of it - no way to get around doing it at the recording stage, though… but diolch for the offer! :sunny:

I didn’t see/look if you can add pause when fine-tunning but I can do a clone of my video and try this thingy.

If you need fine-tunning just say. By then I’ll be ready to do anything. I believe I have new “toy” to play/explore its possibilities. :slight_smile:

I know Content Samurai is meant to be as automatic as possible, but you can surely find ways around to do everything as suits. So, if lucky enough the exploring begins today and by you come back from Monte Carlo I’ll have everything under my fingers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounds fantastic… :sunny:

1 Like

I have huge admiration for you all! I never realised the amount of hassle that could go into quite a short video and here is @aran volunteering to do it, @tatjana volunteering to trouble shoot it and others putting up phrases!! I am not on twitter, but if I should happen to think of a suitab;e phrase, I’ll post here!

3 Likes

Just Brilliant. Thank you :smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely brilliant! But I wonder what would be the most appropriate version for the South? I played it to my daughter at breakfast time, and she thought it was highly amusing but told me not to try talk quite like that! Her version was something like “Cer â dy ?!? bant o fy mhwts!” Diolch!

1 Like

That’s the key switch - the rest is really personal taste… :sunny:

1 Like

Many, many years ago, I came across a sentence in a teach yourself (though not a Teach Yourself, I seem to recall) book for either French or Italian, I don’t remember which, that went as follows: “The dining-car attendant has been struck by lightning.” A suitable candidate for treatment (both the dining-car attendant and the sentence)?

3 Likes

“The pen of my Uncle is on the table of my aunt.”??? I could never understand why she had her own table!! I suspect my age is clear from this. I doubt kids now learn French from that book!!

2 Likes

I do henddraig although it always seemed to be my aunties pen that was on the table - la plume de ma tante est … Eddie Izzard did a great send up of this and his famous rendition of: le singe est dans l’arbre.

I think it was this way of learning French that inspired the early versions of Cymraeg Byw in the 70s and 80s. I had to learn Welsh like that and I didn’t like it, because I didn’t believe it was Welsh - no-one I knew who spoke welsh, spoke it in a Cymraeg Byw fashion.

1 Like

Oh! You are right!! My memory glitched!! Later I went to a school where they taught Latin through the stories of a little Roman boy!! I forget everything about him, but then my Latin was terrible. I literally learned Caesar’s Gallic Wars in both languages and produced the ‘translation’ like a parrot. Got my O=level with the pass ,mark (just!).

1 Like