Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

Just quietly-I did also pick up a word from some chap named @aran that may have some relevance here :hushed: ffernols :laughing:

2 Likes

Brysia wella. I had a chest infection about 9 years ago and I was crippled for more than 3 weeks having to crawl up the stairs and fainting at the slightest effort … not nice at all. I wish you well.

1 Like

Diolch Geraint! Thankfully mine isn’t half as bad as yours was and will pass in a couple of days. My daughter kindly passed it on to me, as they do! :wink:

1 Like

Look after yourself, Catrin - there are some really nasty viruses doing the rounds. Brysia Wella, cariad.x

1 Like

Yes, brysia wella, Catrin. I hope that you are feeling better now.

1 Like

Word(s) of the Day 01/02/2019

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus to you all!!!

12 Likes

I ti hefyd @CatrinLliarJones

2 Likes

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus Catrin a phawb.
My granddaughter: Southampton born and bred, went to her Southampton Girls Brigade meeting last night, which turned out to be St Davids Day themed. She forgot to tell them that she is part-Welsh, probably as it just seemed natural to her :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus, pawb!

(Unfortunately, those aren’t this year - we’ve still got winter here.)

4 Likes

…and for the Antipodes it was the first day of autumn and even the daisies died! The last poor thing hung on with one mate…

5 Likes

Word(s) of the Day 04/03/2019

Twyll = too-eell (Welsh ‘ll’ sound) - deception/fraud/deceit
Twyllo = too-eell-llo - to deceive/cheat/mislead/swindle
Twyllodrus = too-eell-odd-riss - deceitful/misleading/deceptive

Please note that twyll (above) is not to be confused with tywyll meaning dark. Twyll is a one syllable word with the ooee double vowel sound in the middle, whereas tywyll is a two syllable word pronounced like this - tuh-weell.

For a cheat use the word twyll and add ‘wraig’ or ‘wr’ for a male or female cheat -

Twyllwraig
Twyllwr

But the Welsh Twyllwraig or Twyllwr isn’t used as commonly as the English a cheat , to describe someone who has affairs outside an otherwise monogamous relationship. In this context you are likely to have the individual called a derogatory name, followed by a sentence to explaining why their being called this name. Though there may well be some regional words for cheat in common use in various parts of Wales.

The Welsh word for adultery is godineb = god-in-ebb adulterous is godinebus = god-in-ebb-us and the word for adulterer is godinebwr = god-in-ebb-wr, though it’s not a word you will hear in common use, especially in speech.

As in English, you’re more likely to hear the word affair used in informal speech, but with a Welsh lilt to the pronunciation, like this affêr - like the English but with a longer ‘e’ sound and a rolled ‘r’.

Sound file -

6 Likes

But never, never put on a Sam Gamgee voice and just ignore the missing ‘g’. Someone is bound to get hurt… :no_mouth:

Word(s) of the Day 06/03/2019

A little bit of politics for you today…

Gwleidyddiaeth = goo-lay-duth-yah-eth - politics
Gwleidyddol = goo-lay-duth-all - political

Y Blaid Werdd = er bla-eed werth - The Green Party

Y Blaid Lafur = er bla-eed lav-ear - The Labour Party
Llafur = llav=ear - Labour

Y Democratiaid Rhyddfrydol = er democrat-yaeed hreeth-vridd-all - The Liberal Democrats

Y Blaid Geidwadol = er bla-eed gaid-wadd-all - The Conservative Party
Y Ceidwadwyr = er kayd-wadd-weer - The Conservatives
Y Toriaid = er torr-ee-eyed - The Tories

Sound file -

In the current political climate I thought the above might be useful, but I would kindly like to request that any political discussion is kept off the forum… diolch… :wink:

13 Likes

You haven’t told us what the Welsh for “Plaid Cymru” is. :roll_eyes::wink:

7 Likes

Ha ha Geraint. I’m glad you asked, I was too frightened. :smiley:

2 Likes

Think you’ll find it’s Y Blaid.

1 Like

:laughing::joy::grin::smirk::no_mouth:

1 Like

Word(s) of the day 08/03/2019

Diwrnod Rhyngwaldol y Merched - International Women’s Day (northern)

Diwrnod Rhyngwladol Menywod International Women’s Day (southern)

Sound file -

10 Likes

May I put in a request, @CatrinLliarJones? I am not sure if this is quite in the spirit of Gair y Diwrnod, but I am really struggling with the difference in the vowel sounds in the past/future pair of mynd/dod/gweud. That is to say aeth / eith, naeth / neith etc.

It would really help to hear them used more or less side by side, if that were possible at some point in the future. (I know you have much more important things on your mind right now!)

4 Likes

I’m so very sorry for my absence and lateness in replying! Been stuck in a bit of a perfect storm here and it seems I’m not always as adept at multitasking as I’d like to be.

I’ll get my head round this and try to post some recordings on this thread tomorrow, which will hopefully help with your vowel sounds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes