Formal learning level, post SSiW course 3 - ideas?

I was wondering if the Dan Yr Wyneb episode about Learner of the Year would be a good one? I have a recording from the radio already; we could use that.

Stu

I donā€™t mind what we use - although if youā€™d like to take something thatā€™s not immediately available to everyone, I guess youā€™d have an extra job to make sure that anyone whoā€™s interested gets a copy. Or is that something thatā€™s still available to download? (I havenā€™t investigated the podcasts much yet except for trying to listen to a bit of Pigion from time to time.)

I can make the recording available to whoever wart, so that is not an issue! :smile:

Stu

Do you folks listen to ā€˜Galwad cynnarā€™ podcasts on sturday mornings, they are downloadable
and iā€™m still struggling to keep up with what subject they are on, but the only way forward is dal ati.
Not sure iā€™m advanced enough to be much help with transcriptions but i like the idea.
cheers J.P.

Thatā€™s great, Stu, thanks! Maybe you could upload the file somewhere so I can burn it to a cd to listen to on the way to work. I guess that would be the first stepā€¦

I havenā€™t done, but I like the look of it. If we still like the idea after trying Stuā€™s one, maybe we could have a go at one of those next.

I think youā€™re probably further along than meā€¦ We will just have to experiment to see how best we can collacollaborate on a transcription - I have no idea how hard it is going to be!

I will PM a link so that you can download the recording in the morning. If anyone else feels that they would like to assist, post here and Iā€™ll get the link to you as well.

Hwyl,

Stu

1 Like

galwad cynnar, yes Iā€™m a big fan so Iā€™d fancy a transcription of that. I usually know what they are talking about but I must miss out so much on the fine detail.

Fantastic idea from Netmouse! Well done! Iā€™ve always thought the lack of Welsh subtitles on S4C (or am I missing something there? There arenā€™t any, are there?) was a bit of a disadvantage to learners. (Not that S4C is a learners channel, of course. Not a complaint, just a simple statement of how things are.)

On Netmouseā€™s suggestion, I did start transcribing the most recent of the pigion podcasts, as I thought it would be good to have it from somewhere which is easily available to anyone who just wants a quick peep at it - rather than having to order it as it were- both people transcribing it and using the end product - but there seems to have been a movement on from that!

I must say it is quite useful transcribing them, if somewhat slow work! A secretary taking notes I could never beā€¦

Anyhow, I donā€™t think many people would really want a transcription on a conversation about statistics which I was working through, so-

@ Rambling John and Polly Polly

What episode of Galwad Cynnar were you wanting? Is there one which would be best?

If you say, Iā€™ll have a go at it - transcribing is good practice, as I say!

I canā€™t promise anything, my attention span is notoriously changeable, but Iā€™ll at least have a go at a bit of it, and hopefully other people could join in as well if they want to!

There are Welsh language surtitles for most programmes, though they only seem to be available using the Red Button during the broadcast and via Clic.

Oooo! I must check that out!

Excellent!

Wouldnā€™t it be a good idea to use these? Find a programme with decent subtitles? If they range from ā€œhit and missā€ to excellent, just find the right programme

It would be better to have transcriptions done by Welsh speakers who knew what they were doing, rather than the incompetent burblings of people like me!

Up to a couple of years ago almost every programme was Welsh/English subtitled. Unfortunately, cost cutting put pay to that. The Sunday morning learners programmes - Bore Da and Dal Ati - are available
with both.

@essenbee The traffic was terrible this morning - so I got to listen to the whole programme! Itā€™s useful stuff actually, as I can imagine we might well want to try and talk about some of those issues when we get a captive audienceā€¦ Also, the (ex-)learners are comparatively easy to understand. (The presenter, on the other hand, I found quite challenging!)

If youā€™d like to make a start on transcribing, Stu, maybe you could make a guess at how much youā€™re likely to manage, then give me a start time after that.

If anyone else would like to work on the same programme, I guess PM Stu to get the download and let me know so I can give you an estimated start time after my chunk. Then we can post them all on here and have a go at correcting any bits anyone didnā€™t quite get.

Once weā€™ve agreed on the text for the first chunk of the programme, we could go ahead and produce that bit as a speeded up file for people who want to try the accelerated comprehension trickā€¦

@owainlurch etc - hopefully weā€™ll work on an episode of Galwad Cynnar next - although if youā€™d like to make a head start on one, thereā€™s no reason not to have two on the go at once.

Checking on Clic, there are Welsh subtitles available on Pobol y Cwm.

I think I might start watching itā€¦

Iā€™ve only seen a little bit, but though the subtitles leave out words here and there, it doesnā€™t seem enough to cause a problem to people at the level of understanding the rest of it, as it were! Isnā€™t this what we are looking for?

Done by professional Welsh speaking transcribers, no less!

Oh, absolutely. To make it clear, the offer was because RamblingJohn and Pollypolly had said they would like a transcript of Galwad Cynnar. Just offering to help them out (as little as I could!)

Well almost - and would definitely be really useful too. Personally Iā€™d still like to try the transcription option - partly for the challenge of the transcription, and partly because most of my learning takes place in the car. (Which isnā€™t a good place to watch Pobl y cum.)

Well, that is certainly useful!

There are also Welsh subtitles on Rownd a Rownd.

Iā€™ve noticed they often miss out peopleā€™s names, I suppose because itā€™s not necessary to include them, so they can include more words that people need.

Well if you go ahead with Galwad Cynnar just pick the most recent episode, so that with the podcasts being available for about a month after broadcast then if other folks get interested thay have the best oppotunity to download it.

Good thinking!
Itā€™s a question and answer session with an audience, donā€™t know if that is a different form to usual.
Monday, 3rd of November.

Hereā€™s a link to the podcast page -

And hereā€™s my attempt at the transcription of the first minute, the intro-

"Croeso cynnes iawn i chi iā€™r rhifyn arbennig yma - ac iā€™r awr arbennig yma- o Galwad Cynnar. Dan ni 'ma yn Nghapel y Rhos ym Mae Colwyn. Dan ni westeion i Gymdeithas Bro ac Eglwysi Colwyn, ac mae 'na gynilleidfa syā€™n barod i holiā€™r panel yma yn y capel ac maeā€™n noson ddymunol iawn.

A diolch i gyd gynilleidfa am droi allan a gobeithio cewch chi noson o fwynhad yn gwrando ar y pedwar arbennigwr sy 'ma yn cadw cwmni.

Dau o nhw mewn swyddi llawn amser -

Awen Jones o Ganolfan Garddio Fron Goch ger Caernarfon ein arbennigwr Garddio ni,

Keith Jones oā€™r Ymddiriedolaeth Genedlaethol unryw gwestion am egni, cynilo egni, bod yn ddarbodus gydag egni, wel Keith ydiā€™r arbennigwr yn y fan honno.

Oni ddim ar y ddau mewn swyddi llawn amser, wel mae Twm Elias mae rhyfedd wedyn, gynt o ā€¦[wel ie]ā€¦ gynt o ā€œBlas Tan y Bwlchā€ gweithio i awdurdod Parc Genedlaethol Eryri, naturiaethwr tan gamp fel y gwyddwn ni gyd,

A Doctor Goronwy Wyn wrth ochr i fi hyn - cerddor, gwyddonydd a deilydd presennol beth bynnag medal wyddoniaeth yr Eisteddfod Genedlaethol.

Rho croeso iā€™r pedwar, os gwelwch yn dda."

I was thinking of putting whe bits I was not sure of in italics, but that would just have involved me putting the whole thing in italics! Any corrections gratefully received.

And my attempt at a translation-

"A very warm welcome to you to this special issue - and to this special hour - of Galwad Cynnar. We are here in Rhos Chapel in Colwyn Bay. We are guests of the Society of the ā€˜Regionā€™ and Churches of Colwyn, and there is an audience which is ready to question the panel here in the chapel and itā€™s a very pleasant night.

And thank you to all of the audience for turning out and I hope you will have a night of enjoyment listening to our four experts who are keeping company here.

Two of them in full-time jobs -

Awen Jones of the Gardening Centre of Fron Goch near Caernarfon, our expert on Gardening;
Keith Jones of the National Trust - any question on energy, saving energy, being thrifty with energy, well, Keith is the expert in that case.

Though the other two are not in full-time jobs, well Twm Elias - itā€™s strange to say - formally of (well, yes!)ā€¦ formally of ā€œBlas Tan y Bwlchā€ working for the Snowdonian National Park Authority, a (champion, unsurpassed, very good ;-)) naturalist as we all know,

And Doctor Goronwy Wyn, by my side here - musician, scientist and present holder anyway of the Science Medal of the National Eisteddfod.

Give a welcome to the four, please.

[applause]"

Again, any corrections gratefully received!

And please, no one take any of the above as correct unless and until it has been confirmed by somebody with better Welsh than me!

Now Iā€™ll be doing some more of this - it is really good practice, and I am so far enjoying doing it!
But if anyone else wants to have a go -and please please do so! -from the last point above (or indeed, whever you like if you stick the time on!) - Iā€™ll be doing some more anyway for my own sake, so no one will be doing any wasted work!

To anyone thinking of doing it, it seems really good practice, so my advice is give it a go!

Now, Iā€™ll be doing at least a little more, as I say, but is this useful for anyone?

If it is, and if anyone else wants more, Iā€™ll stick it up in another thread. I canā€™t promise how much though, as I say, my attention span isnā€™t always the greatestā€¦

Like I say though, have a go and stick some stuff up! Itā€™s great for practising listening, writing and reading!

4 Likes