Folk sayings and slang

Greetings,
I am looking for a book or listing of Welsh old folk sayings, phrases and / or modern slang. Things like “a stitch in time…”, etc. only in Welsh.

Same idea with modern slang. I am okay with making mistakes, just don’t want to say something rude by accident. Any suggestions?
Diolch!

1 Like

Cennard Davies has published a number of books of idioms for Welsh learners. There is also “A Dictionary of Welsh and English Idiomatic Phrases” by Alun Rhys Cownie which is quite a comprehensive one.

2 Likes

There’s also Ar Flaen Fy Nhafod by D Geraint Lewis - not comprehensive but a very useful one (and to me anyway, perhaps a bit quirky :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr! These look like a great place to start. :smiley:

Hwyl

There’s also an article on the paralell cymru site which is brilliant. It’s where I learned “he’s got a hedgehog in his pocket” for someone who is stingy! I’ve started using it in Saes life too haha.

5 Likes

I am so glad you explained that one! :rofl:
Is there a similar phrase for someone who over-spends?

3 Likes

hmm not sure, but this is the article I got that from: https://parallel.cymru/idioms/

2 Likes

Oooh! Diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile:

I had that and lost it. Couldn’t remember what it was called when it came to replacing it! DIOLCH! :laughing:

3 Likes