First Post

Or, at least, see where a lot of people are. The maps have probably less than 10% of all the SSiW learners, but most of the ones who frequent the forum are on the maps. I’m sneaky - if someone mentions where they live in a post (that I see) I’ll just go ahead and put them on the map. But the mention needs to be somewhat specific. “In the USA” is not enough, and even saying “South Wales” is a bit too general because it is a rather large area to go looking through. Besides, I might put your marker hundreds of miles from where you actually are and then it wouldn’t be very helpful, would it! A town name is usually enough, though, if you don’t want to be marked right on your house. :smirk:

(Hmm. Maybe I should copy this into the map thread . . .)

4 Likes

Haha. You could actually mark me right on my house as it is on Google maps. :slight_smile:

I live in Sothern Minnesota in a small city called Fairmont. Not many people are familiar with it. It’s fun to hear about so many different places like Slovenia and Wales. I’m hoping to go to Europe someday.

3 Likes

I haven’t added myself to the map just yet, but I’m from Australia. :smile:

2 Likes

Hehehe…Barry isn’t my name, it’s where I live - near Barry Island! :stuck_out_tongue: My name is Gavin, or just Gav!

I have indeed been able to speak some Welsh with people here. A month ago, I was at a local Jazz festival when a guy randomly approached me and asked “rydych chi’n siarad Cymraeg?” Which lead to a 5 minute conversation with him! Otherwise, I do get the occasional passenger speaking to me in Welsh when I’m carrying them on my bus in Cardiff. Unfortunately, there aren’t as many speakers here as there are in West Wales, or they’re just shy about using their Welsh - one of the two! :blush:

4 Likes

Hey Chelsea, I am way down south of you in Arkansas

1 Like

And I’m right between you two in Missouri.

1 Like

Hi, I’m also relatively new. Currently on lesson 4 of course 1 (didn’t realise about the new “levels” at first, tried challenge 1 but couldn’t get used to it so I’m sticking with the old course for now!)

I live in London with my husband who’s originally from Carmarthenshire and Welsh is his first language. Sick of being the only person who doesn’t speak Welsh at family gatherings and all of them having to speak English for my benefit! I’m really enjoying learning the language and I’m trying to use it as much as possible with the husband where I can.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, eljay! With an attitude like that, it sounds as though you’re going to do brilliantly :sunny: :star2:

I’m from Kent, in SE England. Not much opportunity to speak Welsh in this part of the world!! - but I have one-way conversations every day with the hen gi (old dog). In fact, I talk to him so much that he’s learnt to bark in Welsh!

2 Likes

Gavin, get in touch with @dinas. When I lived in Maidstone, me and Kim used to meet each month in a lovely 12th century pub in Rochester called the Coopers Arms for Welsh chats. Of course, I’ve now moved to South Wales and the meets don’t really happen anymore, but if you have a chat with him and see if you can both organise something (and announce the meet on here) you could find yourself with a really useful, beneficial and above all, enjoyable experience that will push your Welsh learning further. We more than often got joined by other learners living in and around the area too. If I knew you were a Kentish lad I would’ve tagged you in previous posts when we did the meets before!

2 Likes

Hi, GavinM! Just seen Gavins message…I see you live in Rochester - I’m in Rainham. If you wish I’m more than happy to wander over to a pub or café at some point. It’s a great pity you hadn’t realised we ran a group in the Coopers for several years till two months ago. I’m of to Wales next week but if your free Thursday or Friday this week I’d could pop over. Otherwise, it’ll be two weeks before I’m back.
Message me if you like.

3 Likes

Many thanks for this, Gavin. I’ll be messaging @dinas privately.

1 Like

Thanks Kim, I’ll be messaging you privately.

1 Like