Finding practice partners - a new resource - please share

Bang. Superstar.

[Damn, I seem to be accidentally channelling Jonathan Davies in a commentary box.]

Okay, folks - we have genuinely brilliant people on Monday and Wednesday evenings - any takers for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday?! :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

@Nicky - Iā€™ve sent you a message on Slack :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!!!

1 Like

You two are superheroes.

I am currently thinking about where we can find you capes, or gold stars, or something even better.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if this will work, but hereā€™s the link for the Wednesday hangout. (fancy dress is optional)

https://welshspeakingpractice.slack.com/archives/C9MQ2JR2P/p1521053212000632

1 Like

I thinkā€¦ and I donā€™t want to cast aspersions on the potentially absent - but generally any time you run something like this online, thereā€™ll always be people who canā€™t make it on the night :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted a cape.

3 Likes

Iā€™m happy to volunteer as best as I can on a Friday evening. This week Iā€™d be free 18:00 - 19:00. Due to my 6MWS commitments on the same evening.

2 Likes

Conor, you are SUCH a jump in at the deep end STAR!

On this occasion, Iā€™m going to suggest you keep your focus on the brilliant speed-dating stuff - because I think for the Welsh Speaking Practice group, the Hangout leaders are going to need to be confident speakers, because weā€™re probably going to get a fair few intermediate and advanced learners pitching up as the word spreadsā€¦

But in 6 months from now, Iā€™ll bite your hand offā€¦ :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

Well, I know now how Slack/Hangouts works and am sufficiently sorted to get next Wednesday going.

Big old diolch to @Novem for the tutorial and patience.

4 Likes

Dim problem :grinning:

1 Like

I look forward to seeing you!

Any time youā€™re around and want a practice partner, give me a message :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot Nicky. I look forward to speaking with you and everyone else :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Nicky. Just let me know what do do when itā€™s up and running please. I donā€™t have much speaking practice other than pestering people who are usually in a hurry to do something else.

Cheers.
John.

2 Likes

Hi John,

I did a bit of quick 10 minute test session last night to make sure I knew what I was doing.

At the moment we have two weekly sessions planned over on Slack.
Monday 7-8pm: Hosted by Milla
Wednesday 7-8pm: Hosted by me.

Would be great to see you over on there :smiley:

2 Likes

Youā€™ll see something like this pop up in the #hangouts channel:

To join, just click ā€œJoin hangoutā€ and follow the instructions it gives you (you might have to sign in to your Google account and click ā€œokayā€ a few times) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s great thanks, Milla. Sorry that Iā€™ll miss your session on Monday night as I will be working, but the last night should be Tuesday (wether permitting), so I night catch you on Nickyā€™s session. I just need to suss out Hangouts.

2 Likes

OK, Iā€™ve got Hangouts working. Iā€™ll just need to sus how to get onto the session when the time comes.

Edit: Ah, I see, it is explained above /\

2 Likes

Would this work on sound only - i.e. while driving. I donā€™t think it would be safe to be looking at a screen while out on the road, but simply listening and speaking ā€œhands-freeā€ would be no more dangerous than making and receiving phone callsā€¦

I spend about about two hours a day on the road and thatā€™s the time I use to learn Welsh.

My only concern would be that it can be a bit fiddly getting in and out of it - but thereā€™s no reason why it shouldnā€™t work as just an audio callā€¦ :slight_smile: