Facebook - iPad App

Does anybody know if it is possible to change the language of the App to Welsh and, if so, how to do it. I can find how to get stories translated but don’t really want to do this. On the PC you can change it so that, for instance ‘Search’ shows and chwilio. Diolch!

As far as I know, it is not possible, and I think it may have to do with the language settings in iOS itself. For example, on my (Linux) computer, I have my FB language set to Frisian - there is a vast range of languages available - but on my iPad, in the FB app, FB is Dutch, after I configured my iPad language to Dutch; there is no Frisian, nor Welsh. Only major languages are available in iOS, for reasons unknown to me.

P.S. Sorry you did not receive an answer sooner :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Louis, that is really helpful. I should have stayed with my Windows Tablet :smile:

PS, No apology requires, I was using it as an example of how the ‘feel’ has changed over the years, rather than a complaint nobody answered.

2 Likes

Shwmae @a_jay!
As Louis said, Facebook on iOS devices rely on the language settings on your iPad, which currently doesn’t support the Welsh language.
However…
You can set your iPad to show your calender items in Welsh, which does actually filter its way through to all time and date settings in many apps - including Facebook!

In your Settings app, select General, then Language & Region.
In this menu, select the blue Add Language… and select Cymraeg from the list.

Make sure that Cymraeg is top of your preferred language order. If not, just select Edit on the top right hand corner and move it to the top. It will then tell you that “Welsh will be used as the iPad language”, select Continue. The iPad will go to a black screen while it changes the settings, then returns to the Language & Region screen. Put your iPad in standby mode, then wake it, and you should see this…

If you go to your calendar (whichever calendar app you use), you’ll also see the days and months now appear in Welsh.

You can also set your calendar settings in other languages which are otherwise not fully supported on iOS, including Kernewek (Cornish), Gaeilge (Irish), Galeg (Manx), Gàidhlig (Scottish Gaelic), even Scots, Māori, and Esperanto. They also have tlhlngan Hol (Klingon) in the list, if you’re a Trekkie!! :wink:

2 Likes

@faithless78 Diolch, I will do this now, will stick with Welsh though, at least for the time being!

1 Like