Englishman goes into a pub in Wales

I’ve heard it called “Feelin’ Foul”…

2 Likes

vilistines!

1 Like

Yup, a mate of mine who was a Cymro di-Gymraeg from Abertawe (and a real ale fan) used to refer to it as such :slight_smile:

My dad (who can’t speak Welsh and isn’t really learning but always makes an effort to say the basics when in a Welsh speaking area ) is always disappointed when he asks for a “peint o Carlsberg” in Caernarfon and gets a reply in English. I don’t think he has the accent quite right .
He has got me to write down a list of common phrases that he can use in different situations , for example “rhif 2 plis” when visiting a petrol station , “ga i docyn lottery am ddydd Sadwrn plis” , “sut wyt ti bore ma” , “mae hi’n braf eto heddiw” etc and fair play he seems to be getting on really well with them and he gets a sense of pride when using them
He did the first couple of SSIW lessons but he gave up saying that his memory isn’t up to it (it is pretty bad !) But I’ll keep on trying to persuade him to carry on :joy:

1 Like

Short term memory is only about five chunks of information, which is why mobile phone numbers are for chunks of numbers each chunk being four digits - makes it easier to remember. Long term memory happens when you already know things your unconscious can attach the new stuff to. Which is why we remember things we’re interested in. Don’t pressure your dad but keep doing what you’re doing and he’ll unconsciously build up his long term memory of cymraeg and start attaching more and more to it.