Eisteddfod yr Urdd - Cardiff

Hi!

Has anyone ever volunteered at Eisteddfod yr Urdd? It’s looking likely that I’m going to do some volunteering in a caffi. I would love to hear other folks experiences and maybe some other SSIWers are going too?

Talk about throwing yourself in the deep end…!

4 Likes

I’m volunteering at the Eisteddfod yr Urdd this year, in Caffi Dysgu Cymraeg (Pierhead building). It’s also my first time, so not entirely sure what to expect either.

2 Likes

Cool! That’s what I’ve signed up for too, so I’ll hopefully see you there once I’ve got everything sorted!

2 Likes

Yes, I did stewarding last year and doing it again this year! The Learner’s Cafe is new for the Urdd Eiststeddfod I believe and they put out a volunteers request for this really late. I think it’s an experiment as it’s in Cardiff Bay and is the same place as Maes D was for the national Eisteddfod. Ot it could be Caffi Mister Urdd, which is massive and does hot meals.
It was really supportive to learners last year, be prepared though for the kids laughing at your Welsh (not in a nasty way though, just amused). You’ll get to see Mister Urdd and everything.
I’ll try to pop into the cafe during the week.

1 Like

Ah, my worst fear is children laughing at me bilingually!

I’ve double checked and it’s defo the learners cafe that I’ve volunteered for - please stop in and say hi if you get a chance! I’m looking forward to it now but of course standard worries about whether I’ll understand what people are saying - but hey, it’s such a great chance to practice.

2 Likes

It’s just kids who just find it odd that there are adult Welsh learners. It’s good that there are learners in the learners cafe really, I’m sure you’ll have a great time and I’ll try to pop in. As SSiW advises, don’t worry about it, just keep going!

2 Likes

Pob lwc ac mwynhau.

3 Likes

I volunteered last year and was on my employers stand. It was a brilliant experience! Enjoy :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes