Eisteddfod Genedlaethol 'Meifod' 2003 - 2015

So who went for it with the search for accommodation? Who’s attending/staying in the area during that week?

Gareth and I are staying about 8-10 miles from the Maes and will be at the Eisteddfod from Sunday onwards. I know the company will be good, so fingers crossed for the weather. :smile:

3 Likes

Phil and I now looking for accommodation for Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Will then stay for the party on Thursday and travel back to our daughter’s in Hereford for that night. Can’t miss the party!

3 Likes

Leia and I will be sharing a tent and hoping for not too much rain and mud. I think I’d better invest in a pair of wellies just in case!
Leia will be there in time to help Aran put it up (I’ve heard it’s a rather large tent) and I’ll be arriving a bit later, hopefully after it’s all done and looking cosy :wink:

1 Like

Ex-squeeze me?

I sell a spare kidney to afford a house for the week specifically in order not to have anything at all to do with tents of any kind, and someone is still labouring under the misapprehension that I might harbour a secret urge to be involved in tentish matters?

Caveat emptor, I say.

1 Like

You might need to have a quiet word with someone who volunteered you to help then :slight_smile:
Think of it as a practice run for the following week - you’ll put it up so much faster then :wink:

And what on earth do you imagine might be happening the following week?! I shall be sleeping happily in my own bed, in the blessedly tent-free sanctuary of my own home.

Someone has clearly confused me with a tenter.

[I might, at a pinch, and with enough **immediate** provision of alcohol, be prepared to play a supervisory role, and give thoughtful and encouraging orders. More than that, and my fifth lumbar vertebra is likely to comment on the matter.]

Ah, well perhaps I misunderstood the Gog Welsh :wink:

When I was talking about the tent with Catrin I thought she said you would already have it in the boot as you were going on to use it somewhere else immediately after the Eisteddfod. Perhaps we need to clarify this by email. I’d hate Leia to arrive and find no tent, either up or down!

Have no fear, if she’s promised it’ll be there, it’ll be there (but I suspect that was back when we were hoping to carry on to Die Efteling, which is now on the back-burner for this year).

Getting the thing into the car I can manage (with only the help of a small camel or two). It shouldn’t take you more than a few days to put it up. I’ll call past in the evenings to tell you where you’re going wrong.

1 Like

I think I know that tent from the Eisteddfod two years ago in Dinbych. It is massive, and would house the SSIW party no problem. I might be able to send assembly instructions for a reasonable fee.

2 Likes

Ah, yes it was somewhere in Europe Catrin mentioned. Shame that’s off for the present. Will you be staying to the Saturday now? I haven’t put my name down as a volunteer yet for Maes D but must get that done this week.

1 Like

Yup, there for the week, for the first time in years… :sunny:

Hi @dee! No problems at all with erecting the tent as agreed on the Friday! Our cottage is booked Friday to Friday, so we’ll still be leaving on the last Friday of the Eisteddfod. You’re right, we did have plans to travel straight to Europe to do some camping after the Eisteddfod, but unfortunately due to the combination of unforseen family circumstances which arise in August and financial constraints, we’ve had to put it off. But no fear, we’ll bring the tent anyway. :wink:

1 Like

This sounds to be one hell of a tent, I know that Billy Smart has gone out of business, is this a knock-down price Big Top?

Nothing so meagre and small scale, sir.

Oh, Catrin’s going to be doing it. I see. That’s all fine, then :sunny:

2 Likes

Diolch Catrin. I’m getting very curious about this tent now.

Are we having any kind of SSiW stand in Maes D this year? I’m volunteering some of the time in Maes D anyway but happy to help out with a stand if there is an opportunity.

Me too, will be on the Maes tues-sat in some shape or other

It looks like there’s still availability at the Eisteddfod glamping experience tents/yurts. They’re expensive, but available - possibly good for a share?

http://www.ygorauogymru.co.uk/self-catering-holiday-cottages-mid-wales-and-brecon-beacons-meifod-cottages-125801

2 Likes

If you need the Bws Gwennol (Shuttle Bus) from Welshpool station to the Maes the details are up on the Eisteddfod website http://www.eisteddfod.org.uk/english/2015/travelling-and-accommodation2015/how-to-reach-the-maes/

1 Like

How’s it going with the big tent? Where will it be pitched? Got my party piece ready for the learner’s spoken word competition, bit of a crib I ended up translating a Max Boyce story…“when Wales win the World Cup?” os eto