Dysgwr y Flwyddyn - Learner of the Year - congratulations to our finalists!

Very well done to all who took part and congratulations to the finalists, a very admirable achievement and well deserved. Loved the account of the day.
Pob lwc.

2 Likes

Living in mid-Wales is said to be enough of a deterrent :smiley:

It takes real dedication to pound the A487 or A470

4 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau mawr to the SSiW three. Pob lwc i chi in the final.

2 Likes

Congratulations to the winners - and to all the finalists as well.

I attended the competition from the outside - as a ā€˜helperā€™ on the day. It was great to meet so many other learners and just spend an entire day in Welsh. It was quite odd coming home and switching back to English.

I volunteered for the day because Iā€™m on the Maes D/ Shwmae Caerdydd committee. Iā€™d really encourage any other learners to find out how to join if you hear the Eisteddfodā€™s in your area. You do need good listening skills and be fairly fast on your feet with with with speaking- but this is where your SSIW training really works. I donā€™t think you need to be 100% fluent - technically I was on Sylvaen 2 when I started - high level 2. You get minute after each meeting and an agenda for the next, so you can prepare for unfamiliar vocab in advance!

They do welcome learners on the Learners Committee - and to be honest I think they need more of them. We had more this year when we started, but a couple dropped out because they were struggling to understand in meetings. BUT I canā€™t imagine this would be a problem with SSIWs as the course forces you to make sense when you canā€™t understand at first. (And Iā€™m not sure if that makes sense!)

Anyhow - looking forward to seeing people in Maes D in the Pierhead. Theyā€™ll be talks, music and I hope a lot of fun!

5 Likes

Did anyone see Steve Dimmick on Prynhawn Da or on Sundayā€™s Dal Ati: Bore Da? I was very impressed. Utterly fluent and natural. The mention of SSiW reminded me of this thread, but if I had turned on without the intro, I wouldnā€™t have realised he was a learner without the context of the chat! Da Iawn Steve, if you ever read this now!

1 Like

I missed it live, as the original broadcast was moved to accomodate rugby. But I watched it online as soon as I realised what has happening.

Steve is a really good guy and he spoke very well :slight_smile:

SSIW gets another mention this week, as I was on yesterday - and will presumably be on Bore Da on Sunday as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For those who missed it!

11 Likes

Bendigedig. Unbelievable. Llongy****farchiadau. :clap:

******* = blwmin
Goog plug for Clonc-edigion. :smile:

4 Likes

Diolch Huw :smiley:

Got to get a Cloncedigion plug in there!

News Update for the rest of the competition

Iā€™ve been told that tickets for the evening dinner will be on general sale within the next week. There will be a fair few tickets. Iā€™m not sure yet how it works, and if I do get an early-link, I will put it up as soon as I find it.

On the day: There will be a Live Q&A with the finalists in the Pierhead building (i.e Maes D, a.k.a Shwmae Caerdydd) at 1pm (as things stand) - this is a free event and members of the public are invited to attend.

In terms of Prynhawn Da: Steve went first last week, I did this week. I believe Matt Spry will be on there next week, followed by Mihil (although they werenā€™t sure if he could make it or not) with Yanker doing a bit of a different interview on the last week (He couldnā€™t travel down I believe, so the cameras are going up to him). All of us will be on the Prynhawn Da on the Tuesday, with a shorter version of the interview appearing on that weeks Bore Da on the following Sunday morning.

Aside from this, consider yourselves well and truly updated.

EDIT: I fear Mihil has actually dropped out of the competition, as he has overnight gone missing from everything on the Eisteddfod website. Will try and clarify this!

https://eisteddfod.cymru/y-maes/lleoliadaur-maes/shwmae-caerdydd-dysgu-cymraeg/dysgwr-y-flwyddyn-2018

5 Likes

I fear Mihil has actually dropped out of the competition

Without knowing the reasons, of course, Iā€™d like to wish him well and express my admiration for his taking part and appreciation of the boost he gave to SSiW.

4 Likes

Just wow, well done! You were so comfortable and spoke so quickly and fluently. Itā€™s just unbelievable that youā€™ve only been learning for a year and a half! :clap: :star2: :tada:

2 Likes

Thank you very much Anna!

1 Like

I watched the interview and just saw the behind scenes version on you tube. Great stuff fair play. I can definitely hear the gogledd course influence now too.
18 months learning ā€¦wow.
Pob lwc let us know when/where to purchase tickets for the final.

2 Likes

Thank you massively Phil!

The gogs have got a grip on me Iā€™m afraid!

Will definitely let everyone know the moment I find out :smiley:

2 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau a pob luc. The interview was impressive. You are an inspiration! And a wonderful ambassador for SSiW.

2 Likes

The gogs have got a grip on me Iā€™m afraid!

Donā€™t give up - thereā€™s still time. Iestyn runs regular camps in Tresaith where they can reorientate you and place you on the right path. :smile:

6 Likes

I have heard of this magical camps, however I think Aran has ruled that I can now only go to bootcamps that take place in the Gwynedd county lines! :bus:

2 Likes

By learning to speak Gog you mean you are finally learning to speak Welsh. Well done, we accept all comers. :wink:

6 Likes

For anyone watching Bore Da and online right nowā€¦ Iā€™m going to be on after this commercial breakā€¦

2 Likes