Dylan Thomas

Diolch bois, ond nid chwilio am canmoliaeth o’n i! Mae eisiau arna i wneud y bwynt am sut mor defnyddiol gall y gwrs yma yn bod. Thanks guys, but I just wanted to get outside my comfort level and try to use the language in a setting, in the company of experts, and with a topic that was very challenging for me. The SSiW course has helped develop that confidence to give it a go, warts and all. So thank you!
Dwi’n gorfod dweud hefyd, yr oedd y siaradwyr cymreag (yn enwedig Gwyneth Lewis) yn defnyddiol ac yn caredig iawn. Cawson ni sgwrs hir am SSiW a sut mor effeithio yw e.
The welsh speakers who were there were awesome and very helpful.

1 Like

Really appreciate your kind words, Simon - diolch o galon :sunny:

Sorry to be a hair in the pud, but I’ve always been of the impression that Dylan Thomas didn’t like Cymraeg. Or rugby. Not a great start if he wants to win a place around my dinner table!

Not sure if Dylan didn’t like Cymraeg as such, he was brought up by his Welsh speaking parents in English and did not learn Welsh, so maybe he never got a chance to like it, but there are references in his poetry that point to a reasonable knowledge of Welsh, and there are those who say that Dylan used elements of Welsh metre in his poetry.

He did not like Welsh nationalism, as evidenced by the well-known quote by one of the characters in one of his screenplays: “Land of my fathers, and my fathers can keep it”, and a three word quote by himself: “… Welsh Nationalism”
As to rugby, he was not very well from a very young age, suffering from bronchitis and asthma, so he can be forgiven for not being interested in rugby.

I read or watched something the other day that said Dylans father gave private Welsh lessons to people in his family home while Dylan was growing up.