Dutch learners - Skype?

Until @louis gets here - I’d say that sounds like a hiccup in the course build (which happens easily enough when the meaning is very similar) - that looks to me like the Dutch for ‘I must still learn more’, so I think your attempt was a closer match here - but we’re talking about very, very similar ideas, of course… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to hear you’re enjoing the lessons, and fire away with those questions, please!

A quick way to say that would be a simple “tweede straat links/rechts” no “take” required - but you could also say something like “neem de tweede straat links/rechts”

Your answer is better than mine, well done :smile: The answer in the lesson is, like Aran said, more like “must/have to/got to learn more”. A hiccup, almost certainly caused by the subtle difference between “I’ve still got more to learn” and “I’ve still got to learn more”, I’d say. In a conversation, it would not matter which of the two you use - the difference in meaning is that close.

4 Likes

Arran and Louis,

Wow! Thank you so much for your very prompt answers. I can’t believe how responsive you guys are. I will be toasting your success with een glas wijn later tonight.

John

2 Likes

Een? 'n fles, hoop ik!

2 Likes

Finally just started Dutch. Finally.
Have always been able to get the ‘gist’ from it being spoken all around me and at me by most of the family but that’s been all. So crack through the lessons and a trip to see Oma awaits.
Also interesting to see you’re from ‘just down the road’ Louis. My family’s been in Tilburg for a loooooong time. Haha

2 Likes

Veel geluk Mick! I hope you enjoy the lessons, and please contact me via the forum or via PM if you need any help!

BTW, the female Dutch voice, Eline, lives in Tilburg, too - so your Dutch should sound quite ‘normal’ to your family. Small country. :smile:

3 Likes

Yes it sure is. Can even find an electric goods store one of the family started up some years ago through google maps haha. Bonus of having a very unique name I guess.
The accents actually sound odd to me, but I’m putting that down to roughly 55 years of being affected by south Aussie ‘twang’ haha

1 Like

Hi Aran and Louis,

I have a couple of questions. While waiting for the next Dutch lesson, I started “reading ahead”. Does this have any kind of negative impact on your learning methodology, or am I safe in continuing to do this. Secondly, the big question - when do you think the next lesson will be available? I’m sure there’s a bunch of us eagerly awaiting to get their hands on it.
Thanks,
John

Generally, I’d encourage people to push on with the material rather than going off reading - but since we’ve not managed to produce new stuff for you, there’s not much else you can do!

We’ve been holding off on doing more Dutch until our new course creation tool was ready - to save Louis from having to re-do stuff again, which has already happened once! - and that’s taken a fair bit longer than we hoped at one point, unfortunately. On the bright side, we’re closing in on it - we’re doing a rebuild of the codebase that we’re hoping will be a couple of months, and then fingers crossed it should only be another couple of months after that before we’re ready to start work on a new beta round of languages, which Dutch will be part of… :slight_smile:

Hi John,

I can’t add much to what Aran has explained already…but as soon as the software is good to go, there will be all kinds of sparks flying around the place, I promise!

3 Likes