Do we ever get to write Welsh?

YAY! I’m so happy for you. Blwyddyn newydd dda to you too!

I’ve read this post here when it was written, but the time somehow wasn’t just right to answer.

I know you’re always here somewhere even if you don’t post so that’s in majority why I’ve mentioned you here in this thread. It always inspires me how enthusiastic you are ahd … what a storyteller!

I wish all your plans come true this year. Have a nice time in Cymru and enjoy every bit of it! I don’t doubt we’ll hear all about your staying there when you return back to Vancouver. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great to hear from you Tatiana, I was worried you were not well when there was a tiny, tiny delay :thinking:

I just posted something on the Petition thread which is tangentially relevant to this discussion. SSiW is exactly that–vital to preserving and passing on the oral tradition which is the very bedrock of the language.

For those wanting to write, like me, why not start with inserting Welsh words and phrases here–my iPad can always mangle it so excuse/cover any mistakes :wink:

For anyone wanting to tackle the grammar, try looking at the Vancouver Welsh Society language classes. Antone has done an amazing job dividing each topic into three levels to allow us to self-diagnose our needs so select the level to suit.

He freely acknowledges the benefits of SSiW, but also encourages those of us hoping to read and write Welsh too.

Personally, I found that having some SSiW (at least Level 1) gave me the confidence and enthusiasm to dip a toe in the water on the written word–it is amazing how some familiarity acts like a personal pat on the back as I can say to myself ‘Yeh, I know that… I recognise that word…’

Lastly, there is no substitute for a friendly, encouraging community of learners like this–what a gift!

Marilyn

1 Like

Sounds brilliant @MarilynHames, fach! Do I just Google Vancouver Welsh? (After I’ve finished all the Challenges I’ve promised to do! Oh, and learned to Skype @Pete2!!)

1 Like

Yes, just Google Vancouver Welsh Society…

1 Like