Do Cafes & Shops display Cymraeg Friendly signs?

Sutmae Dee,

Thats great I have been giving some thought to how we can publicise these stickers and use them to get more people using their welsh and I have a few ideas. I will let you know if any come to fruition.

Not sure how to develop the map idea but I think being able have a look at what is about in an area that we are visiting would be marvellous. Perhaps it might be easier to develop a list of places in an area, I am not very technically minded but if a map is easy to update it would probably be best.

I will try the music shop in Abergavenny first with one of the stickers to see if they will display one and let you know how I get on.

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

j

3 Likes

After a fruitless day today i think this is such a good idea. 32 years ago when in school in south wales we came to mold. We heard a fair bit of welsh. Today i heard none. In three places i enquired ‘siarad cymraeg?’ and got looked at strangely…so off i went to saith seren in wrecsam to find it closed at lunchtime. Oh well.

1 Like

Totally off topic question: How many flags are hanging there now @petermescall? 4 or 6? At Saith Seren I mean. (if you remember or if you saw any at all).

No idea. @gruntius will know I’m sure

2 Likes

OK. It was just a thought as they applied for more and the appeal was granted so I thought they did rush with additional two flags to be displayed. :slight_smile:

Diolch.

Do you know what, I have no idea. I noticed a few weeks ago that there are flags but didn’t bother to take notice of how many. I went there tonight but didn’t look. I’ll try to remember next Monday.

1 Like

Y bore 'ma. Gorsaf Blaenau Ffestiniog. “Ga i tocyn ddiwrnod?”. “Sorry we’re from the Midlands”

Perhaps the problem is that it is high summer (Or early Autumn, given Gorffennaf question in another thread!). Tourists everywhere. Anyone you speak to just as likely to be on holiday!!
I always seemed to pick tourists to ask directions from in Paris and French folk were for ever asking me!! It is an odd experience explaining the Metro map in French to folk from Toulouse!!! As I was living in London, I was used to the Tube map, so quite OK with the French version!

These were selling the tickets in ththecstation shop!

2 Likes

Oh dear! I would think that qualified as an ‘official’ type place in which yr iaith Cymraeg has rights!

1 Like

Unlikely; it’s still a private business. Just another reason to support re-nationalising the railway…

1 Like

The Ffestiniog Railway? Unlikely to be nationalised in the near future! :wink:

2 Likes

The fact none of the staff on the railway didn’t speak Welsh must mean that they are not employing local people

Most likely to be volunteers.

2 Likes

As Rob says, the narrow-gauge lines are largely staffed by volunteers. There’s certainly room for improved language awareness amongst the volunteers - I remember having discussions along those lines with some of the managers many years ago - but it’s fairly safe to say that if they refused to accept volunteers unless they could speak Welsh, they wouldn’t currently be running any services.

2 Likes

One of the volunteers who lives in the Midlands, and I think volunteers with various steam railways around the place, has learnt some Welsh and came to a bootcamp in Tresaith, but sadly I don’t think that’s a common phenomenon.

3 Likes

I also look for the orange badges.
At the drs this week I saw a sign saying that you could have your consultation in welsh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mae’n ddrwg gei i!
I travelled by train for years until I early-retired and learned to drive! As I was not willing to do that in London, I went there by rail in 1993. That was my last train journey (well, the return leg was!) So I have never been on a privatised train.
I know, intellectually, that BR no longer exists, but I have never really stopped thinking of railways as a public service! Now, I realise they are not, but I do wish they were! It means, even if the Wlesh Language Act is properly enforced and strengthened. it will hardly apply to anything in everyday life!