Diolch yn fawr to the SSiW team - a success story

I am posting a huge “diolch yn fawr” to SSiW for all you have done for the Welsh language.

When I last posted here several years ago, I was Lynn J. in graduate school in Chicago, and that was probably in 2014. Back then I had finished the old course and was keeping up with repeating the final lessons in Level 3. I ad a wonderful chat via Skype with Aran where, with his encouragement, I was able to carry on a conversation in Welsh for 45 minutes. This was a benchmark for me. It was the moment when I realized I DO SPEAK WELSH. It was one of my proudest moments.

Then there was a hospitalization, a divorce, starting a professorship in California, a head injury… it’s been quite a journey. I am doing great, and a couple of months ago I decided to get back into Welsh, not having touched it for five years or so.

I started in on the new course and was able to complete each challenge of the first level in the first go-through. What this tells me is that SSiW is amazingly effective at teaching people to REALLY SPEAK WELSH, to integrate it into their very bones where it will remain in spite of whatever happens.

The course is absolutely amazing. I am grateful to the immensely dedicated SSiW team every time I hit the play button. No matter what I do to myself, it seems I will never be able to stop being a Welsh speaker. That is how effective SSiW is.

Diolch yn fawr iawn, dioch yn fawr iawn, diolch yn fawr iawn!

18 Likes

What a lovely story (except or the head injury, divorce and hospitalization, obviously!). It’s brilliant to hear that you’ve retained what you learnt and can just build on it even after a long (and traumatic) break. That truly is the sign of being a Welsh speaker.

Congratulations on all that hard work, and on really having achieved the ‘gold standard’ - being able to talk and build on and be in Welsh. :star2:

6 Likes

Lynn, it’s SO lovely to hear this - diolch o galon! - and I promise I will answer your email in the not-too-distant futre… :wink: :slight_smile: :heart: