Day out in Bangor and Caernarfon

My car was in the garage today so I bought a couple of day tickets on the bus and headed to Bangor .
It’s surprising how much more Welsh you hear in Bangor during the school holidays , when the students have gone home . I heard it pretty much everywhere I went there today (although I do tend to listen out for it more since I started learning) and all the short conversations we had there (in shops etc) apart from one were in Welsh .
After a couple of hours in Bangor we got on the bus and carried on to Caernarfon where we of course heard Welsh all around us . I really like Caernarfon and tend to go there every couple of weeks or so.
When I first started learning , up until about a year ago people would always comment and say things like “mae dy Gymraeg di yn dda” or "ers faint ti’n dysgu ? "
Although it is nice that they say these things it was a little frustrating sometimes because it must have been so obvious to them that I was a learner.
I don’t get those things said to me anymore but lately , in nearly every conversation I get in to in Caernarfon I get asked the same question , “lle dach chi’n dod o ?”
I guess it’s not as obvious that I am a learner anymore but it is glaringly obvious to them that I’m not from Caernarfon . Perhaps I just seem like a Welsh speaker from a different area . It’s strange as I never get asked this question anywhere else .
I hardly ever get nervous when entering in to a Welsh conversation anymore and don’t endlessly practice in my head what I am going to say anymore either and just rely more on what comes out naturally. I did though have a bit of a nightmare with one conversation today when ordering food at Caffi Maes. I really struggled to understand what the lady said to me , even after she repeated herself and I had to apologise and explain that I am still learning.
We caught the bus back home and I said to the driver in Welsh , “will we have to change bus in Bangor to get to Penmaenmawr ?” He replied in English and said that we wouldn’t have to because the bus goes straight through to Llandudno . He then apologised and said that he understands Welsh quite well but can’t speak it. I told him it was fine and that I struggle a lot of the time because I’m still learning.
The bus was packed and full of people chatting away in Cymraeg . There were a group of teenagers sitting behind us chatting away and I listened carefully to their conversation and tried to understand what they were saying (that makes me sound like a very nosy person I know lol) and I understood about half of what they were saying. I noticed that they were using quite a few different words to what I use.
Once the bus got past Bangor and more people got off and on the bus , the language of the conversation around us for the rest of the journey home was English. On the whole it was a very enjoyable day out surrounded by lots of Welsh :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Sounds like you had a pretty productive day out!

I wouldn’t worry too much about people asking where you come from. The fact they asked you in Welsh means they must have thought were a good enough speaker of the language that they didn’t just switch back to English :smiley:

Caernarfon has a very specific accent, especially the “Cofi” accent - and as much as there’s a strong belief there is a Northern and a Southern accent - the reality is there are loads. Ceredigion Welsh speakers have a different accent to Welsh speakers in Swansea - People in Pwllheli sound different to those from Caernarfon.

…and even if your accent was a perfect “Cofi” accent, they were probably asking “where do you come from?” as in “What part of town are you from?” :smiley:

Excellent work!

5 Likes

That’s a huge step forward - that means that you’re speaking quickly/confidently enough for people not to be entirely sure that you’re a second language speaker, which is a HUGE achievement! :star: :star2:

7 Likes

…and be aware that “where are you from” is a standard conversation starter. It came up in a conversation in English tonight at A rugby match. Once it was established that my friend was from the next village, the language changed to Welsh :grinning:.

3 Likes