Daily Wales

I am confused. I finally got around to looking at it, but it doesn’t seem to change/come out ‘daily’. Most news seems to be days old. Is there a new version every week day that I’m missing, or do they just add the odd article, so one has to search for ‘daily wales’ and the date?

Another regular Daily Wales reader here. I enjoy a lot of it.

[quote=“robbruce, post:11, topic:1300, full:true”]
I think I’d appreciate a source of news and opinion that at least makes an attempt to cover all sides of any given story.[/quote]

I’ve been thinking this recently (hadn’t seen this thread, sorry). It seems to me that an intelligent and literate group of people with a strong interest in Welsh affairs could probably put together something of this nature, even in the form of a group blog, if they had the time and organisation.

The “Say Something in Welsh Daily” anyone?

1 Like

Could be a parallel publication to the “SSiW Show” on Radio Cymru (you know, the one where one or more of the Fab Four host a friendly 15 or 30 minutes or so, taking calls from learners and other Welsh enthusiasts and talk about the fun and frolics of learning Welsh).

Not running yet? Well, give it time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey there,

Really interesting to read your various thoughts on Daily Wales. I’m an SSiWer and former Bootcamper who helps to run the site.

It’s done on a voluntary basis by a tiny group of volunteers, so we’re pretty limited in what can be achieve at the mo.

The general idea was to create a daily source of news and views from a Welsh perspective - rather than a British one. It’s been hard to find the right tone to take with news stories and initially things may have been overly ‘shouty’; hopefully, not so much now.

The other big challenge is just the logisitcs - the time it takes to keep the website updated when balanced against work/life etc.

So if anyone has ideas on how to improve things or would like to help out or contribute articles - that would be ace. Also if there are any SSiW things that need publicising,

Tom

PS We’ve had a technical problem with the site which meant the site needed to be manually refreshed before new content showed up - hoping that this is now fixed.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, Tom! Alternative voices and opinions are warmly welcomed here in Kent where; we’re given - more and more - myopic views of Wales, the world, by the presstitutes here in jolly old England.

1 Like

You’re doing a great job, Tom - thank you very much indeed for such a refreshing alternative :thumbsup: :sunny:

1 Like

Great work from a volunteer team.

I subscribe to the RSS feed. There is something new added to the feed most days. I suppose the website layout makes it a little difficult to spot new stuff sometimes.

1 Like

I find that the RSS feed doesn’t update when the site does - it’s often a day late.

1 Like

Has the delay in the RSS update been happening this week?
Some settings were changed at the weekend to try and fix the update problem.
There are usually three or four new articles added each weekday.

Yup. Today the four new articles aren’t showing in my RSS reader, but they’re there on the front page.

Hmm. Thanks. Will do some more fiddling.
Seems to be updating ok here: http://dailywales.net/feed/

Today seems to be fine. Maybe it needed a day to bed in.

2 Likes

I’d noted that the, Daily Wales hadn’t been updated for several days. Sadly, all their hard work has been hacked. Hopefully, they’ll be back soon…

Daily Wales

Sometime last week Daily Wales was hacked and this has meant that we, the editors, have been unable to publish any new articles for the last seven days.
This has been very frustrating for us and for our contributors, and also for our readers.
As soon as the website is fixed we will release details of our plans to improve Daily Wales.
So thankyou - to all our supporters, writers, correspondents and readers.

What a pain in the neck for them - hope they get it sorted soon :sunny:

I hope there’s nothing sinister behind it. There is a handful (thankfully only a handful) of nutters out there who would like to silence that kind of political voice and community.

2 Likes

I hope so. The Daily Wales has become apart of my daily diet and I really enjoy reading the readers comments in differing colours and also contributing my outlook, from here in Kent, on Y byd Gymraeg.

1 Like

I agree with you all. I thought there was something wrong with my set-up when I couldn’t get up-dates. I’m so sorry that it was really hackers. :dragon_face:

Wondering if they were operating on a shoestring and couldn’t afford to put the necessary security measures in place (although really for anything as public as that, one can’t afford not to put the necessary security measures in place).

Are you still there, Tom?? Any luck with getting Daily Wales back on line and free from hackers???

Aye, we’re still trying to sort things out. It’s all been a bit grisly really but don’t think it’s anything sinister.
It’s some kind of malware hack that we’ve been advised is best handled by moving to a new server.
That’s what we’re currently trying to do, while also trying to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
Not sure how long it’s going to take but hope to get things back up as soon as poss.

4 Likes