Cynghanedd and the Cadair

Hi all- there is a great introduction to cynghanedd on the Conversation- https://theconversation.com/how-the-welsh-developed-their-own-form-of-poetry-73299

4 Likes

The ā€˜About Welshā€™ course will be running in June and Sept 2018. Iā€™m booked onto the June one, canā€™t wait!

I had the same thought this year, having found the Crown poems on the Eisteddfod website but not the Cadair. Thanks to this thread, I bought this yearā€™s Cyfansoddiadau, Clwed Cynghanedd and Singing in Chains from Gwales.com - and they have just arrived! Waaay beyond my abilities at the moment but, like a mother buying school uniform, I am hoping I will grow into them!!

3 Likes

I donā€™t think so @Catriona. I bought ā€˜Singing in Chainsā€™ last year and got so fired up by it that I thought Iā€™d write an englyn. It took me about six weeks to write four lines which is probably rhigwm doggerel anyway, but I learned a lot of new vocabulary on the way.

1 Like

Ah, well. That gives me hope. I can have fun trying anyway!

One thing that confused me - I listened to the Cadair ceremony in the radio, and I thought Iā€™d undergo that part of it was a reading of the winning poem. So when I got my copy of the Cyfansoddiadau i thought Iā€™d listen again and try to follow along with the text. But it didnā€™t match up, except in little fragments. So Iā€™ve obviously misunderstood. I guess it was someone talking about the poem?

Can anyone enlightened a bemused relative beginner?

I havenā€™t heard the ceremony, but usually they donā€™t read the whole poem - they talk about it and say which bits really impressed the judges and why, and stuff like that, so thatā€™s probably what you heard.

PS If you listen to Talwrn y Beirdd on Radio Cymru, they do a similar thing with the poems on there. :slight_smile:

Diolch, Siaron. That would certainly make sense