Cyfarfod a pobl / Meet with people

S’mae pawb,

Dwi’n rhugl yn Gymraeg ond dwi’n byw yn Asheville, Gogledd Carolina a dwi heb wedi dod o hyd i neb arall yn yr ardal sy’n siarad Cymraeg eto. Dwi 'di weld ar y map o siaradwyr Cymraeg o gwmpas a byd bod yna 2 siaradwyr arall yn yr ardal yma. Sut gallai cysylltu a’r siaradwyr yma i gofyn i nhw os mae 'na diddordeb mewn creu clwb Cymraeg yn yr ardal?

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Hi Everyone,

I’m fluent in Welsh, but I live in Asheville, North Carolina and I haven’t found anyone else in the area that speaks Welsh yet. I saw on the map of the Welsh speakers around the world that there are 2 other Welsh speakers in this area. How can I connect with these Welsh speakers to ask if there would be an interest in starting a Welsh club in the area?

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Best first step would be to go: @Deborah-SSi, next weekly email? :slight_smile:

[but I just did that for you, so you don’t need to now… :wink: ]

Thank you Aran!

I’ve really been wanting to connect with other Welsh speakers to keep up with the language. When I saw that there were two people near me, I thought it would be so cool to be able to connect with these people and have chats over coffee or something in Welsh. It would be a great way to practice.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

It can be a bit hit-and-miss, and there are probably follow-on things (like offering articles to local papers and so on) but if we’re lucky the email will dig out a few people, and that can lead to a great mini-community… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am a Welsh learner who lives near Smith Mountain Lake in southern Virginia and to my knowledge there arre no Welsh speakers hear. If you were closer, I would love to have you practice with me and improve my knowledge and use of yr hen iaith, Charles Pasley

1 Like

Croeso, CharlesPasley

I live in a rural section of Delaware and know your pain. There is a Welsh Society in Fredericksburg, VA and they are pretty active bunch. I know it’s 3.5 hours away from Smith Mountain but you can reach out to them and see who you can speak with.

I’m working to create a database of Welsh Societies in the US and Canada and working with SSiW to create a way to link them.

1 Like

@charlesedwardpasley, Yes, it is a shame that Welsh speakers in the US seem to be so spread out. There is an “Americas” channel in the slack group, but it’s not very active. I wonder if there would be any interest in creating a channel in the slack group for people on the east coast (same time zone)? Just a thought.

@delawarejones, that’s great that you are making a database of Welsh Societies in the US and Canada. I’m curious, what are you using to compile this list?

1 Like

Helo, JohnOwen
To gather data, I’m using databases in NAFOW and Madog websites as well as Google searches, then compiling them in Excel. I estimate I’m about 40% complete with my project.

What do you think of Slack as group chat platform? I’ve not used it.

1 Like

I’m still getting used to it, although it seems like it’s a solid platform. The only issue I have seen with it is that the planned chats through hangouts are scheduled for a time that I’m at work!

1 Like