Cwpan Rygbi'r Byd - 2015 - Rugby World Cup

Yah … no “Ti’n gallu i wneud e…” when he kicks penalties … I even now hardly believe it’s true. Pinch me, I’d like to realize I’m only dreaming …

1 Like

In the 70’s, feel like its about that now!! ha. absolute shame he is out for it. Pity it couldn’t have happened to Cooper…

What’s in a name?
I am not a happy bunny…cyningen hapus! O.K., I still call it ‘Cardiff Arms Park’, but I do add it’s official name. Now, it gets called after a building society for commercial reasons and, as a republican, I’m not a fan of their choice of name!! Why can’t the Society become Cymeithas Adeiladau Cymru and the stadium could then be Stadiwm Cymru??
p.s. @aran If this rant is unsuitable for the forum, please take it off!!

I believe stadiums could really have more original names then those of some companies which sponsors them. There are commercials and adds everywhere in them though so this should be prety enough to se clearly who is the sponsor …

Stadium Cymru. Hmmm … I’d love this one, why not.

P.S. And yes, @aran if this isn’t suitable then take my reply off along aswell. :slight_smile:

Well, the Arms Park is named after a pub.

The only problem I have with the renaming (aside from a general dislike of stadium sponsorship) is that it’s likely to be misinterpreted internationally. People in, say, Australia are unlikely to be familiar with the Principality Building Society and so may infer completely the wrong motivation for the name (ask anyone why the Liberty Stadium in Swansea is so named).

Aside from that:
“We’re not a principality, we’re a country!” - You can be both. Monaco is.
“We’re not a principality, we’re a nation!” - Go and look up what a nation is.
“We’re not really a principality anyway!” - Actually, that’s true. But it’s still the name of the building society. And they’re the ones with the money.

Yah, but I still prefer names which don’t change though. Principally as soon as parthenrship ends will be no more but the real name (such as Arms Park or Millenium) stands (almost) forever … That’s what I actually wanted to point out though.

1 Like

Hello I think there are a couple of teams who could take the cup in my experience world cup rugby is a different kettle of fish and even I would have to admit there havn’t been too many world cups that have been nice to us. I think that France could be a rank outsider remember world cup 2007, no one gave South Africa a chance and they came up with the goods it will be interesting.

That was my real point!! That and @tatjana’s about the likely change when the sponsorship runs out! That and the total lack of any mention of ‘twysogaeth’!!!
to: @peterluke60 Glad you found this topic!!

Absolutely, I hope that it is an ‘outsider’ as such. Don’t need to see the Kiwis win again.
Either way I’m sure it will be greatly enjoyable and I cant wait.

1 Like

The All Blacks’ willingness to let 91, 95, 99, 03, and 07 slide past without an AB win definitely made the competition a lot more interesting than it would have been if they’d won them all… :sunny:

1 Like

It sounds like stadiums need two names, a permanent one that stays with the building and a temporary one just so the sponsor can demonstrate what kind people they are. Stadiwm Cymru sounds good as a permanent, maybe-slightly-underground name…

Y Stadiwm Genedlaethol.

2 Likes

Actually I pondered my thoughts the other day and came to conclusion we do not need to worry. Peoples habits are sometimes fantastic things and I strongly believe among the people the stadium will be called as it always has been and this is what nobody can take away from people the least.

So … dim becso …

Depending on generation!! To me it’s Cardiff Arms Park or Y Stadiwm Genedlaethol, to many it will be Millennium and the very young with call it Principality or possibly Twysogaeth!!!

Yah, it could be, yes … but Arms Park is that little one with 10,000 seats, isn’t it.

I don’t know why, as I didn’t even know Cardiff Blues club at that time but when there was announced that they will move to Millenium Stadium and we discussed that on our Knight-Nui forum with all those teens on there, I was prety sad. I just couldn’t understand the stadium would be abandoned. Then on when they mooved back I was extreamly happy again this had happened for who knows what reason really. :slight_smile:

Well, it is now, but first we had Cardiff Rugby Club and the dog track sharing a ground named after a pub!! Then we had a new North Stand, got rid of the dog track and then built a stand on the back of the North Stand for a little ground at the back. That became the Cardiff Club ground and the old Arm’s Park became the National Stadium.I don’t remember when the South Stand was rebuilt, but the Millennium and pro-Rugby came along and the new stadium with moving roof!!

1 Like

I’m not wild about sponsors naming buildings or the term ‘principality’, but at least it’s a Welsh company - the other place Principality are always plastered as sponsors is the Eisteddfod.

It’d be even worse if it was some random international megacorp with their name plastered all over the place!

At least they seem genuinely invested in the community.

2 Likes

Yup, to be fair to them, they are major sponsors of Welsh culture.

1 Like

You are quite right, but I wish they’d be bilingual!!! At the Eisteddfod, do they call themselves “Principality Building Society” or “Cymdeithas Adeiladau Twysogaeth”? If the latter, then the stadium should be “Stadiwm Twysogaeth Principality Stadium”

Cymdeithas Adeiladau y Principality, or just (mainly) Principality.

Don’t forget that they also sponsor S4C’s coverage of the three main Eisteddfodau.

1 Like