Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Croeso cynnes iawn - a very warm welcome to the forum, Howard @howard-snell, Amy @amyshehi and Corina @corina :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

Wow. I used to live in Llanhilleth as well. I lived in the white fronted house with the big window, rhat used to be a shop :sunglasses:. My wife, Glenda is from Alexandra Road, Six Bells. I love it when I learn a new word like S(h)imli for Chimney, and she says ā€œsurely you knew that!ā€

Also forget to say that Glendaā€™s grancha/grandad in Cwm had a WWII refugee child staying with him. He never left and was known to everyone in the village as Cuz.

1 Like

Welcome, Howard - what an interesting story! Iā€™m from the Rhymni Valley and lived in Maesycwmwr (just south of Blackwood / Pontllanfraith) for a good few years, but of course, no-one really goes north in the valleys, so Iā€™m not that familiar with Llanhilleth, except as somewhere on road signs as you pass on the way to the heads of the valleys road!

As a nosy question, whereabouts in SW France? I spend 4 - 6 weeks a year close to Marmanda / Marmande in Lot et Garonne.

1 Like

We are in the Lot, north of Cahors, and have been here for close on 15 years.

As a boy I knew Pontllanfraith through visiting a cousin there. My other (more northern) hub was Abertillery, my fatherā€™s familyā€™s town. I still have one relative alive from Aber now living in Newport, and we speak regularly. (Not in Welsh, and she is from one of the generations of only-English.) My maternal Gran had a lot of Welsh, but she was well into dementia by the time I lived in Llan during parts of WW2. Occasionally she would aim some Welsh at me, usually starting with ā€œAch-y-fi, mochyn ā€¦ā€ (I hope the spelling is right, but thatā€™s how it sounded to me.)

2 Likes

Noswaith dda,

Iā€™m in South Wales, I enjoyed the 1 Welsh sentence challenge.

I want to learn Welsh for both work and personal reasons. Lots of my colleagues speak welsh, so I hope I will have opportunity to practice.

found my way here after googling to see if there were accessible welsh classes near me. SSIW this is very accessible as I can do it from home - no stairs/non-wheelchair accessible classroom issues!

All best wishes, Grace

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Grace, and good luck with the course - let us know when you run into any difficulties with it (there are always difficulties!)ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hi Iestyn, Iā€™m enjoying the one sentence challenges, but I actually wanted to sign up for the 6 month course. Now when I try to follow the link on the internet, it takes me back to the one sentence a day section. What am I doing wrong? Can you help? Thanks, Rhian

2 Likes

Hi there, time is the biggest obstacle for me so Iā€™m looking for a way to learn thatā€™s flexible, and this seems promising. My son is attending a 1st language Welsh primary and my Welsh is basic at best! Iā€™m on a mission :grinning:

2 Likes

Croeso iā€™r ffrwn, Rhian-Hutchings! Welcome to the forum!

Iā€™m not Iestyn but this is the link I found to sign up for the 6 month course. Scroll about half-way down to find the sign up information. https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/6mws

2 Likes

Helo Delaware,
I have this link. But when I click on it, it takes me straight back to the 1siw link. I wondered if this was because I had already logged in and started it and maybe I couldnā€™t sign in for both? Itā€™s a bit weird.

Thank you so much for coming back to me. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Rhian

Diolch @delawarejones!

@rhian-hutchings - if you copy and paste the link, rather than clicking on it, it should take you to the sign-up page that you are looking for.

And no, I donā€™t understand why eitherā€¦!

I would have to do a screen sharing session to see whatā€™s going on. When I click on the link, I go to the page. Have you tried a different browser? Other suggestion is to clear the cache/cookies on the current browser and try again.

Hi Delaware. Slightly off topic, but there are a few Americans on the Facebook messaging group connected to the dwin dysgu cymraeg group. They are looking for resources. I suggested ssiw anf nafow. Just to let you know.

Hi Delaware. Clearing the browsing cache did the trick!!
I really appreciate your help.
Diolch yn fawr!
Rhian

1 Like

Thanks Iestyn. Iā€™m all signed up!! :grin:

Diolch, JohnYoung. SSiW and NAFOW are great. So is the Ninnau Publication (American/Welsh Newspaper) I donā€™t do Facebook but what is the Dw iā€™n Dysgu Cymraeg group? Is that a Facebook thing? Iā€™ve got a lot of different resources I could add.

Is this the group you are referencing? https://www.facebook.com/groups/8576703359/

1 Like

Thanks, Delaware. Iā€™ll pass on details of the newspaper.

Yes, thatā€™s the Facebook Group. Itā€™s quite popular.
The associated messaging group is brand new and getting off to a big start - As itā€™s an offshoot from the main group, Iā€™m not sure about the moderation set-up, not to say anything one way or the other.

Edit - one of the admins of the main FB group is also on the messaging group, so it should be ok.

1 Like

Helo, Prinhawn Da. Iā€™ve just completed Day 4 and am thoroughly enjoying learning Welsh.
Iā€™ve been visiting for many years and my husband & I have decided to retire to North Wales & are slowly transitioning here. I want to be able to fully integrate into the local community & have been practicising on the staff in the local Spar (poor them!).
Diolch - this method of learning is brilliant.

7 Likes

Great to hear youā€™re off to such a good start - youā€™ll reap huge rewards down the line for your willingness to jump into using your Welshā€¦ :star: :star2:

Helo Trevor

I live not far from Abergele. Itā€™s a nice place. There is also a welsh practice speaking group in Prestatyn (about 5 miles from you) every week for all levels. Theyā€™re a nice bunch! Croseo i Cymru!

1 Like