Crads bach y traeth

This is a program for children on S4C. I have mild disagreement with ‘y traeth’ as the program includes lambs, ponies and puffins on and under the cliff-top grass. ‘Ar lan y mor’ might be a better name. However, my real question is about Crads. It clearly means ‘creatures’. As the wildlife ranges from prawns to seals to dogs to razorbills to blennies and starfish, sea anemones and crabs… well ‘creatures’ is the only way to describe them. But the plural of creadur doesn’t seem to be crads, which isn’t much like any plural in Cymraeg.
Can anyone help? Oh, and @ramblingjohn the series is quite good for names of creatures which live by the sea!!

The plural of ‘creadur’ is ‘creaduriaid’ and I would naturally say ‘craduriad’ when speaking. You will often gear ‘creaduriaid y môr’ and ‘creaduriaid y tir’. ‘Crads’ isn’t familiar to me in North Wales, I think that it’s dialectical and more familiar in South Wales.

O’n a similar subject, ‘mini beasts’ in Welsh is ‘trychfilod’ - one of my favourite Welsh words. :wink:

5 Likes

Diolch yn fawr. If I was properly de Cymru instead of 2/3-1/3 I might have known that!! The series is filmed in Tenby. I am hoping for choughs as the sheep grazed cliff-top grass is very like our Gower coast. I may have missed kittiwakes a I haven’t seen all the programs!

Creadurion is the plural that I would use, but having looked it up, it seems to be unofficial but nevertheless widespread.

It’s similar to the informal plural slods for more than one sglodyn.

1 Like

I think you could argue that -s plurals are becoming (have become?) part of Welsh - garejys, losins, fferins, jibiders, bistimanars…

1 Like

I was trying to translate “Alien Lifeform”, but I found “lifeform” translates as “lifeform” in Welsh, so I think I’ll have to change my Youtube handle to Alien Creature.

Yr oeddwn yn ceisio gyfieithu " lifeform estron ", ond yr wyf yn dod o hyd " lifeform " yn cyfieithu fel " lifeform " yn Gymraeg, felly yr wyf yn meddwl y bydd rhaid i mi newid fy Youtube trin i Creadur Estron.

1 Like

Hi Creadur_Estron!

You could use “bod estron”, where bod is literally being. You’ll often see bod dynol as a human being, and bodau estron or bodau o’r gofod would be good translations of Extra Terrestrials.

Great to have you on board, but I’m afraid our Google Map only covers the earth. These Americans are so insular… :wink:

2 Likes

S’mae Iestyn, Diolch. Bod estron sounds more Welsh, 'cos creadur still obviously has very close links to creature, but for now I’ll stick to Creadur_Estron to save breaking links in the forum. Bod is well cool though.
Beth bynnag, Byw hir a ffynnu. Neu yn y Vulcan gwreiddiol “dif-tor heh smusma”

Cyfarchion Iestyn
“Bod estron” could mean " that alien", at least that is how gOOgle translates it. Obviously context is important. In this contextless context it could mean either, so perhaps creadur is better. gOOgle translates “extra-terrestrials” as “all-daearol” ,“extraterrestrial beings” as “fodau allfydol” and “extra-terrestrial beings” as “bodau all-dearol”. The hyphen seems to make a lot of difference, because “extra terrestrial” translates as “daearol ychwanegol”. To put it more clearly: Extraterrestrial=Allfydol, Extra Terrestrial=Daearol ychwanegol, Extra-Terrestrial=Extra-Daearol and extra-terrestrial=all-daearol. I guessed there might be an additional earthling somewhere, but spare earthling translates as, earthling sbâr. It’s all greek to me. Obviously I can’t rely on gOOgle. Drannoeth da, Dynol_Ychwanegol, mae’r sbesimen o allanol-gofod.
By the way, extraordinary extra-curricular extravaganza = strafagansa allgyrsiol anghyffredin.

Bod means being, not that - but it is often translated as such due to the different structure of Welsh compared to English. You’re quite right in not trusting Mr Google too much when it comes to translating any language into Welsh :smiley:

I would translate extraterrestial being as bod arallfydol - otherworldly being

2 Likes

Thanks Louis, I started out by looking for an online Welsh dictionary and messed around with gOOgle translate for a while, though it’s fairly obvious that it still needs a lot of work. It does offer the option of helping to improve the translate service by correcting translations or suggesting alternatives. I noticed that some of the translations have a tick by them and have been checked as correct by Welsh speakers. Another problem that occured to me, is that it doesn’t state whether the translation is northern or southern Welsh. I will stick to the course material for now, as there is plenty for me to learn and remember there. I wonder if you could suggest which forum would be the best to place this link on.
Diolch am eich help. (Another gOOgle translation).

I just discovered Welsh Wikipedia.Wicipedia
And this site seems interesting. It has a comparison of all the modern Celtic languages, Irish, Manx, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Cornish and Breton.Omniglot

1 Like

As Iestyn has stated very eloquently before, the differences between northern and southern Welsh are not nearly as pronounced as many people think, there are two versions of Welsh on here at SSiW, but whatever version you begin with, in my experience at least, it is not hard to switch between the two at any time.

For that link, you could start a new thread, or post it in an existing thread if you find one that’s relevant (I can’t remember seeing one)

Oh, and I think I’ll order myself a copy :smile:

1 Like

S’mae Louis, Yes I read the post about northern and southern Welsh and I have compared a couple of the lessons. I’m only on lesson 2 anyway, so for the sake of simplicity I’m going to stick to southern Welsh for now and lurk around the forum on the look out for extra vocabulary and idiomatic phrases. I’m sure there’s loads to explore here and I’ve only just started. Yes Mellten seems like a good idea to me and worth supporting. :alien:

1 Like

Google translate has its points, but my “go to” online Welsh dictionary is:

http://www.gweiadur.com

(You have to register, but it’s free).

There are others, with their own advantages, and all worth checking out.

Thanks Mike. At first glance it looks good. I tried Geiriadur, from the University of Wales, but found it a bit fiddly for my needs at the moment. :space_invader:

Diolch.

As an explanation of the somewhat confusing Google translations of differently hyphenated terms:

“Bod estron” can only mean “that alien” in the middle of a sentence, and an exceotionally restricted sentence at that (something like “dwi’n credu bod estron yn air da” - I think that alien is a good word)

Google’s “all-daearol” is an excellent literal translation of extra terrestrial = outside of the earth, and “bodau allfydol” (note the b at the start of bodau) is “out-of-world beings”

The hyphen makes a lot of difference, because Google gets confused easily: for instance, ychwanegol = the English extra, rather than the latin, so without the hyphen, Google is thinking you mean “an extra world” when you ask about “extra terrestrial” and the capitalisation obviously confuses it as well.

In other words, use Google with extreme caution!

3 Likes