Course 3 Lesson 10

A new form was introduced around the use of pronouns (ohon - I believe) without any warning or explanation. I’m happy I can cope with hearing this in in conversation but not confident that I would want to use the form without a little more understanding of what is going on here. Any guidance appreciated.

Personal forms of “o” which include ohono i, ohonot ti, ohoni hi, ohono fo, ohonon ni, ohonoch chi and ohonyn nhw … Meaning of or from.

I want one of them … Dw i isio un ohonyn nhw.

I think. :wink:

O: from, of… has personal forms, Hywel - ohono’ i ohonon ni ohonot ti ohonoch chi ohonhi hi ohonho fo/fe ohonyn nhw…
Pwy ohonoch chi sy wedi yfed yr cwrw? Who of you has drunk the beer?
Pwy ohonon ni sy wedi yfed yr cwrw? Who of us has drunk the beer?

I’m doing this lesson myself at the moment. It’s mohono fi, mohonot ti, etc. if you remember back to lesson 5 I think, where ‘mo’ was introduced as another way of saying ‘dim’. It’s become apparent to me that the ‘mo’ construction is used in certain cases, like “I didn’t hear you shouting” - “chlywes i mohonot ti yn gweiddi” or “you didn’t hear the answer” - “chlywes ti mo’r ateb”. But the normal “dim” is used for “you didn’t hear what I said” - “chlywest ti ddim be’ wedais i” and “she didn’t hear that you had left” - chlywodd hi ddim bo’ ti wedi gadael".
Hopefully someone can come and explain it better than me, or correct me if I’ve got it wrong!

Spot on Gavin! I have just got back from a drive to Microsoft and back, and spent the car journey doing an intense revision session of Cwrs 3 lessons 6 - 13, so have reviewed the mo pattern just now.

Stu

Spot on Gavin. Mo is used for specific stuff and ddim for non-specific.

I think. :wink:

It may help to know that “mo” is a contraction of “dim o”, at least for me that makes it less of a transition in patterns between specific and non-specific things

That’s right Louis. In lesson 5, Iestyn gets us to practice a few sentences in full using “dim o…”, but it does still only occur in certain instances I’ve noticed.