Course 2 followed by new course 1

Has anybody completed course 2 and then gone on to the new course 1 instead of course 3? I’ve tried and am probably going to give up and start course 3. The problem is that having got used to the language structures presented in courses 1 and 2 I find it difficult to to master the new structures when there’s no explanation as to why they are different. e.g. the short forms and one or two others.

This works ok if you are just starting out on course one, but is not so good otherwise. Anyone else had this difficuly?

I’m just doing this now. The first time i listened to the first couple of lessons of level 1 i found it a bit confusing but i am now on lesson 5. My guess is that the new level 1 probably encourages the thinking required for real conversation a bit better than the original course. I think some people have done course 3 and then gone back to level 1 so i suppose there is merit in either route but i’m finding the level 1 re-inforces the stuff i have already covered as well as covering some new so i will get to the end of level1 before going on to anything else.

2 Likes

S’mae Andrew?

Whatever works best for you. Course 3 will introduce the short forms in what amounts to a grammatical way, I think, whereas Level 1 introduces that more naturally, so that they are much easier to use in actual conversations. Personally, I had completed Course 3 by the time I went through Level 1, so it was great revision, but also clarified how the short forms are actually used (which Course 3 probably did not so do well, due to the way it was structured). Course 3 is great, I’m not saying its not BTW :smile:

Hwyl,

Stu

You’ll rarely find any explanation in any SSi course - including Course 3 - as indeed you didn’t in Course 1 or Course 2 - so my money would be that your best bet here is to push on and accept that there’s more than one way to say most things in Welsh :sunny:

I have just started on Course 3, after doing 1 & 2 and Level 1 new. It took me a while to get into Level 1 New, but after a few sessions I really enjoyed it. I’m struggling a bit with Course 3 - because I’ve got used to the slower pace of Level 1, but also because I keep getting mixed up with the various short forms, which is frustrating. Also, I have forgotten some of the things from the vocal units, which keep popping into the phrases! At the moment I’m doing each lesson twice, and then moving on regardless. Planning to sign up for the on-line bootcamp next week - which I’m sure will get me on the move again. I’m sure you’ll make it work for you Andrew, whatever you decide on.

1 Like

Why not have a run-through of doing each lesson just the once? You can always come back to them later if you really need to… :sunny:

That’s what I did with Level 1 New after the first few lessons - and it worked until the last 2, which I did twice for security. I’m planning to sign up for on-line bootcamp starting next Weds, so I think I’ll revise the vocab lessons for Course 2 this week, and then I can pick up Course 3 - one lesson a day, no repeats for the bootcamp. Does that sound like a plan?

I have done all three courses and am now doing the new course one. I think if you do course three the short forms won’t take you by surprise, if you then go back to the new course one. In the southern course, the possession pattern is different in the new course. But it is handy to be familiar with the difference. Maybe do course three so that you get a sense of completion and then worry about the new course. It will give you added dexterity.

1 Like

It certainly does :sunny:

Well, I decided to finish the new level 1 course and then go on to course 3.
This is only going to take me another week or so anyway as I’ve done lesson 8 and there are only 14 Southern lessons at the moment.

Aran/Yestyn - how long will it be until all 25 southern lessons are completed?

It’s not possible to say at the moment - Cat, Iestyn’s wife, has Caudina Equina syndrome, and has been largely incapable of movement and in continual pain for the last year or so, which means that Iestyn has been doing his best to support her and to look after four lively children - which is why we’d be grateful if all our southern course users could be philosophical about the fact that we just can’t make any promises right now.

I have recently enrolled on a Mynediad course on Uned 3 now and in comparison I can truly say how much the SSIW learning method advances the learning process. I can truly say without Iestyn and Cat I would not have got this far - completed new course 1-14 and old course 1 (since April this year). If it wasnt for SSIW I would not have learnt so much in such a short time. Thank you Iestyn and Cat for what you have done for me. I must add my grandchildren will be happy with my posting! My daughter went to a parent/teacher progress meeting this week and the teacher asked my daughter if any member of the family spoke Welsh, in response my daughter replied “Grandma”. The teacher replied Isabel is understanding so much thanks to Grandma. Well, I have to say thank you SSIW!!!

3 Likes

Lovely story Annette!

Stu

Stu I often read your comments and replies to so many SSIW questions and queries and I have to say you are a role model to so many SSIW leaners and you inspire me to achieve what you have done. I have to admit I have I long way to go to reach your goal of speaking Welsh so fluently but my three grandchildren constantly inspire me to achieve that goal, bless them! My one four year old grandchild attends an English medium school, and we have so much fun playing games in Welsh, memory game, snap games etc in Welsh. We both learn so much but at the same time have many laughs and fun. One day my Welsh Grandad will be proud of me when I can speak as well as you! Thank you for all your postings and advice on the forum.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn for your kind words Anette. Believe me, if I can do this so can you! At school I showed no aptitude for languages whatsoever, so any success I may have had is due to an innovative method of teaching (SSiW) and a personal investment in the “goal”. Its really great to read that you are having fun with your Welsh, as that really is the most important thing of all.

Hwyl,

Stu

3 Likes

I’ve finished all 3 courses…regularly have short Welsh conversations with my workmates and in shops etc but STILL have found it so useful to do the new course 1 and wud definitely recommend it …even after all 3 of the old courses I’ve learnt new ways to use my welsh!!

2 Likes