Cornish Music

I love it! I went deep into Cornish Carol lyrics this year, ha! I think Jingle Bells works particularly well, even my English partner could join in. :slight_smile:

Here’s more Cornish music!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Morgan Farwel Lannwedhenek — Padstow Farewell Shanty

Here are the original English lyrics (the Cornish translation is so close it’s almost word-for-word):

It’s time to go now
Haul away your anchor
Haul away your anchor
It’s our sailing time

Let us set the sails
Haul away your halliard
Haul away your halliard
It’s our sailing time

Get her on her course
Haul away your fore-sheets
Haul away your fore-sheets
It’s our sailing time

Sea waves are surging
Haul away down channel
Haul away down channel
With a flowing tide

When my life is over
Haul away to Heaven
Haul away to Heaven
May God be with me.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve just updated my playlist on iTunes so thought I’d share a few more I like!

1 Like

This is poetry rather than music, but I can’t find a better thread for it — it’s something that was posted on the Cornish Language Fellowship’s Facebook page (I’m not a Facebook user, but I check it out from time to time). Pol Bennett Hodge — that’s Pol who’s the voice of SSiCornish and a few other online resources — has done an excellent Cornish translation of the famous poem Invictus by William Ernest Henley:

Inviktos

A-dhyworth nos a’m kudha vy
Du ‘vel an pytt, kledh dhe dhyghow
Gras dhe dhuwow may hyll bos di
rag ow enev anfethadow.

Yn synsans fell a sirkomstans
na blynchyis vy po kria mes
yn-dann weskansow a happyans
ow fenn yw gosek na dorblegyes.

Dres an le sorr ha dagrow ma,
y teuth di mes euth a’n skeusek
ha hwath brag bledhenyow a wra
kavos, ha’m kavos anownek.

Ny vern yn hwir tynnder yetys
rol kargys gans kessydhans krev,
yth ov an mester a’m tenkys.
Yth ov an kapten a’m enev.

(Here’s the original poem in English — Pol’s translation is very, very close, almost word for word. Ober marthys da (brilliant job)!!)

2 Likes

Dydh da hwi oll

Hemm yw splann - this is a great thread on Cornish language music/bands whilst searching for Cornish vocalists

I’m in a band called Mamvro that sings mainly in Cornish. We were around in the 90’s but have reformed a couple of years ago. Our singer/bassist organised Fest Kernewek last summer (unfortunately we weren’t able to do one this year for obvious reasons)

But here is a link to an old song of ours I’ve been reworking over the last month or so if anyone fancies a listen.

4 Likes

Here’s an old favourite of mine from primary school days — mes yn Kernewek! :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh my word!

I remember getting Brenda Wootton’s autograph when I was little - she turned the ‘w’ of her surname into a big pair of breasts. Hilarious. Love her.

Thanks for the links to music, I’m currently trying to write a song in Kernowek, so it’s great to get inspired by what’s out there.

Kindest and warmest,

T

1 Like

Ahh, that’s awesome to hear! We need plenty of music in Cornish, look forward to hearing it one day!

I found this playlist!

1 Like