Conversation practice with Catrin

Grêt, so you’ll get lots of Welsh on dydd Iau, and you can consolidate everything with me dydd Gwener!

Dw i’n edrych 'mlaen! I’m loooking forward!

Pob lwc gyda dy ddiwrnod Cymraeg! Forget Black Friday - you’ve invented ‘Intensive Thursday!’ “Dydd Iau Dwys!”

Gweld ti 'fory,

Mererid

2 Likes

Brilliant, two Skype sessions lined up for each day and ukuleles actually don’t seem to have been cancelled! Mini-bootcamp here we come! :smiley:
(Uh oh, starting with Catrin in 40 mins… I’m not nervous…)

4 Likes

I wan to say thank you to Catrin for being so lovely to me this morning (this evening for me). It was my first ever conversation in welsh and I was quite nervous. I couldn’t imagine how we could talk for an hour but it flew by. It’s a Very different experience to have to think on your feet rather relying on learned phrases. Catrin was very patient and I thoroughly recommend her conversation sessions.

5 Likes

You’re too good to be nervous! Ti’n rhy dda i fod yn nerfus! Pob lwc, byddi di’n iawn! :smile:

1 Like

Catrin is running around quite frantically at the moment - Angharad Lliar has her first ballet show of the year tonight - but Catrin wanted me to say that she loved talking to everyone and that everyone was fabulous - she’s going to be on here herself as soon as she gets half a chance to breathe (but she’s got tomorrow morning teaching art in the school and then an article to write for the BBC before Monday, so she doesn’t get many chances to breathe!)… :sunny:

2 Likes

Look, I do exist after all!!! :wink:

Sorry. I haven’t been on the forum for quite some time and have no worthy excuse apart from having upgraded my smartphone/phablet and not been efficient enough reinstalling all my fodder.

Today was a good day! Apart from dragging myself to PTA at 3pm, I spent some quality time chatting to some very interesting women. All three had made excellent progress with their Welsh learning, all three batttling on with gusto and full of enthusiasm.

I really enjoyed your company, Lynne, Sonia and Maureen! Thank you for your time and conversation! We all managed to chat away quite happily about everything from dogs to movies for a whole hour per conversation, and could have easily kept on chatting for longer!

But please keep the feedback coming, positive or negative - I need constructive criticism! I feel I’m here to offer a service and to do all I can to help you along with your quests to become confident Welsh speakers. So I want to ensure that I do this to the best of my ability based on your wants and needs. Therefore if you have any comments with regards to conversation subjects/call sound quality/speed of conversation/usefulness of conversation and so on, then please let me know.

Likewise, if anyone would like help with learning pronunciation for a Welsh song, giving a best man’s speech in Welsh, or anything of that nature, then these sessions would be perfect!

Right, I’m off to tackle Angharad’s hair in to a donut bun for her ballet show and roll my sleeves up for 2 hours of backstage madness with gaggles of little girls - wish me luck!!!

Catrin.x

6 Likes

Good luck to you, and Angharad Liar as well! (I always used to cry buckets whenever my children were in a show…)

2 Likes

Hope the link will be somewhere to read it :slight_smile:

Imagening me chatting with you … phiew … I’m nervous even thinking about that … you knowing so much, me knowing so little about everything … and my wording rather being re-invented my own way then proper Cymraeg speach … I only now am realizing how “lightly” I went into conversation with @aran when it happened …

And of course, well done all the Ladies! I’m happy for each and everyone of you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch @CatrinLliarJones , it was absolutely lovely. (And I’ve just checked the spelling of the extremely useful phrase “hud a lledrith”). :smiley:

(Go on @tatjana, you know you want to!!)

3 Likes

Diolch …

I want but don’t feel skilled enough … One day maybe … :slight_smile:

Catrin, I have a suggestion. Next time I intend to have a list of topics to discuss with some points already prepared. I also plan to have some questions for you. I think that especially with new people, you could have some stock topics. Maybe people could let you know beforehand what they would like you to talk to them about. Perhaps this won’t appeal to some people but for me knowing what I’m going to talk about will give me chance to brush up on the relevant words and phrases. I went out with family today and I had to resist the urge to speak in welsh. This is opposite to my experience before I spoke to you. Previously I would have real trouble thinking what I could say. Somehow the conversation with you made the langue real and relevant.

5 Likes

Tatanja you really should give it a go. I was very nervous and I struggled throughout the conversation but it has unlocked the mystery for me. Now I see the language as something real and relevant rather than a learning challenge and a bunch of phrases. Go on, be brave! Catrin was lovely.

2 Likes

That’s the point. I see the language as something real and relevant from the very beginning and that’s why I’m constantly saying I’m not good at it … :slight_smile: I never wanted to learn list of phrases and I (if possible) didn’t want to learn dreadful lists of words … (except for days of the week and months which I obviously will absolutely have to do this way or I’ll never learn them at all.

But, yah, it can easily happen when/if I’ll try to go into one such chat with Catrin I’d go the step higher again …

Thank you very much for talking to me yesterday - well,I think you talked and I just said"Mmmmm, well," interspersed with a bit of nonsense.However,to misquote Dr Johnson, who was born in Lichfield, the same as I was," The wonder is not that I did it well(which I didn’t) but that I could do it at all(which I could!)It was so lovely to put a face to the name-and a voice-and so helpful as a means to gage progress.I hope to speak to you again soon and I would urge everyone else to book a chance to have a conversation with you.
Best wishes,
Maureen X.

3 Likes

Good to speak to you again@netmouse, I’m really enjoying our skype chats. Glad to hear your intensive sessions on Thursday and Friday have gone well!

2 Likes

Well it turned into something like an intensive 2 days with two sessions each day! (And rushing around madly in between trying to get everything else done too…)

I think it definitely helped to get everything flowing a bit better. The last session was with @sandramckenzie who said I was speaking better than normal after all that brain-frying!

One thing for @CatrinLliarJones… It would be a good idea to get to grips with the text chat element of Skype, to send people interesting words as you’re going along . They get saved to the session and can be accessed afterwards too. (@mererid does this particularly well - and even uses a shared Google docs doc, although that might be overkill for your type of session.)

Diolch yn fawr iawn i bawb naeth helpu!!

5 Likes

Sounds a bit like me when talking to Catrin. Great though.

1 Like

Brilliant tip, diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was wonderful to get to know you Maureen! I really enjoyed chatting and found out huge amounts about you, your kids and dogs despite you thinking that you weren’t able to say a lot!

Diolch!

1 Like

I’m so glad that the conversation was of real use to you Lynne. We had a great conversation, it was varied and interesting.

A list of topics is a very helpful suggestion, thanks for sharing!

1 Like