Comparing Welsh & other languages - Pontrobert Meifod Sat 19th August

If anyone is in the Meifod area over the weekend this event suitable for learners sounds as if it could be pretty interesting (apologies for the poor quality of the image - the probably illegible contact details at the bottom are: Nia Rhosier 01938 500631 - this comes with a word of warning as I can’t locate the original link and just now wasn’t able to come up with any details from the web, so best to contact Nia if you’re thinking of going)

1 Like

Harriet gave a similar talk in Llandrindod at our little Dysgŵyl festival last year. Although I was familiar with the subject (the origins of Welsh in proto-Indo-European and its place in the Indo-European family of languages) it was nevertheless interesting and opened my eyes to a few connections between English and Welsh that I hadn’t previously seen.
If you’re going to get a harp performance into the bargain, I’d say that it was well worth the trip, but as John says, do check first! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@HarrietEaris gave a series of 10 lectures on this theme in the Canolfan, Llanilar, Ceredigion which I found absolutely riveting, very well prepared and enthusiastically delivered.
And yes she is a brilliant harpist. Here is her website from which you can find more about that as well as her contact details in case you can’t reach Nia Rhosier. Harriet Earis website

1 Like

I attended her two day residential course, ‘Am y Gymraeg’ at Plas Tan y Bwlch last year. It was extremely interesting. Her harp playing is first class. She plays classical, gwerin, pop even jazz and blues. She also brought her harp down to the cellar bar for a singalong!

1 Like