Comparing lessons with previous knowledge

I think it was, once (at least, that’s what someone told me - on Bootcamp, perhaps?) So my partner (who is a first-language Welsh speaker) answers my question “T’eisiau panad?” with “Oes” not “Ydw” (but she can’t say why - it’s just what she says).

But never “Dim diolch”, strangely… :wink:

3 Likes

New learners now get a series of emails to help flag up some of what we’ve learnt in the last six years about the most effective ways to use the lessons… :sunny:

4 Likes

In the South, we do use it like that but meaning ‘need’. It pronounced more like ‘isie’ and is often spelled as such. Mae isie i fi vind. Literally, There is a need for me to go.

1 Like

On “pause” or “no pause”, when I started, and didn’t use the pause button (usually because I was on the move somewhere) even if I hadn’t got in (or finished) before Catrin, I felt I was “cheating” in some way.

But it now turns out that was the correct thing to do. Just dumb luck though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I learned through SSIW in the “pause button era” :slight_smile: and that worked for me, just as “no pause button” has worked for many others. I think this may be an aspect of learning where personal experimentation pays off.

To me what matters is feeling good about the learning and getting a sense of accomplishment along the way. Getting stuck on a particular lesson can undermine that (I know from experience), and so can going so fast that you feel out of control (I’m guessing).

3 Likes

My experience … but not so much out of control then feeling that you’re going nowhere however only after some days realizing that you are somehow pushing further and you’re going somewhere anyway. But, yes, it is extreamly hard to cope with this.

But no matter how rebellion or nagging I seam to appear to others I’m obediant person so by @aran’s instructions I’m pushing forward like stubborn locomotive from “Thomas the Tank Engine” animated series, blowing steam sometimes and pulling through the lesson day by day without pause button and repetition being frustrated at (quite many) times but anyway.

But yes, I agree, everyone can choose their own way of learning which suit them and from which they feel they can learn the most.

For me … let’s say I’m curious enough to push throuhg to the end (which is near) to see what comes next. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes - you can optimise learning for a bunch of different targets - speed of acquisition, conscious control, ease of acquisition - but any pattern that you can stick with will lead to better results than something that makes you despair and give up… :sunny:

2 Likes

Have you watched him in Cymraeg? “Tomas ac ei’ ffrindiau” Good for vocabulary!!

2 Likes

No, will search for it. It surely is great! I love those cartoons and we bought enormous amount of rails, engins and what’s more of this when my son was little. He even had T-Shirt… COOL STUFF I love it even now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hearing @Iestyn
I PMd Iestyn because I got frustrated by his accent!! I’d not heard what he was saying in Challenge 1.6, and gone on, only to have the same problem in 1.7!! (Yes I really am still doing challenge 1 because I spend so little time actually learning!!) Iestyn thought others might have the same problem, so…
I was not able to hear clearly the word he was using for “that” in sententces like : “You said that you speak…”. Iestyn told me :- The “that” in those sentences is “bo ti’n”.
If anyone else has had the same problem, well that is your answer!!

1 Like

Thx. That particular one I’ve heard more like “bo vi’n” or “bo thi’n”. This is really helpful. Thanks once again to both, you and @Iestyn.

Just to be clear, the “bo” is the “that” (and a bit of a slangy that at that!), so you’ll hear bo fi, bo ti, bo fe, bo hi etc for all the people. There is a more grammatically correct version is (fy) mod i, (dy) fod ti, ei fod e, ei bod hi, etc, but the verbal shortcut is just as valid, unless you are writing formally. So you will hear slightly different stuff from time to time (as wih any language), but don’t worry about being able to use the more formal version.

3 Likes

That is exactly what I’d heard and it didn’t make any sense with what I knew!!
To @Iestyn I have now done half 1.7 successfully and downloaded 1.8 and 1.9!! Oh and, I could hardly speak for laughing at all the sentences in 1.7 part 1 which were saying what I was thinking!!!

Yah. I always said “WHAT?! What did he say?!” but from one to another listening I always have forgotten what comes next. Always made me look puzzled.