Children's telly on S4C

Ive been watching a little of Abadas, very childish, but I like the songs haha.
I have been assured many times that Popti ping is not the word for microwave, it being Microdon, but they used popti ping here at about 6:40

http://s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=499228053

A question: is popti ping used, at least occasionally as a slangy version of the word?

I started watching children’s programmes on S4C before I even started with SSiW. :slight_smile: Made sense as the children are learning and so there is a lot of repetition which helps. And as you say there are visual clues to help as well.

Meicrodon is indeed the proper word for microwave but most people do say popty ping or just ping.

2 Likes

I have a theory that popti ping will win out over meicrdon and pili pala will win out over…? er… what is the ‘official’ word for butterfly?

There isn’t one - lots and lots of different options there. Pili-pala, iâr fach yr haf, glöyn byw, glöyn Duw… and apparently in Cornish it’s ‘tikki Dew’, which is ‘tegan Duw’… :sunny:

1 Like

I hope it doesn’t all blend into Pili Pala - Iar fach yr haf is a beautiful name and what would happen to the crazy nonsensical second verse of one well known version of Mi welais Jac-y-do:(Pili Pala doesn’t quite work).

Mi welais iar fach yr haf
yn mynd i werthu ffa
Fe’i gwerthodd yn rhes
ond collodd y pres
Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Talking of new and old words. This was one question on Duolingo: I want bacon - my answer: dw i’n moyn cig moch. (nil point and wrong in every way and I was being careful, because the people where I live wouldn’t even say dw’i. since Fi happens to work for just about everything) correct answer dw i eisiau bacwn and then I noticed bacwn in the supermarket and was blown away. I guess I’m a bit hung up on the old stuff.

1 Like

One not very often used word that I love is ffrwchnedd (sp?) for banana. I saw it first on a menu outside a pancake stall in the Urdd Eisteddfod 2 years ago and it stuck with me. I was talking to a first language Cymro last week and he’d never heard of it but said he would start using it just for a laugh. Eleri Siôn used it on an episode of Llyncu Geiriau recently too. Apart from that, nothing.

I was wondering why the children kept saying ‘yn Ben Dant Captain!’ in ‘Ben Dant’. I thought that Ben Dant was just the pirates name, so I was confused as they seemed to be saying ‘like you Captain’. I have heard the word ‘bendant’ on the radio also, so I looked it up, it means ‘definitely’! So the children are saying ‘Definitely Captain!’, which makes so much more sense! Such clever word play!

1 Like

Hehe, I remember the penny dropping about Ben Dant, and feeling a bit clever and stupid at the same time! It used to be my kids’ favourite programme, but unfortunately they’re rather growing out of that kind of thing now and I haven’t succeeded in getting then on to anything for more middle sized children in Cymraeg. (Saesneg is a bit of a problem too actually as the main attraction at the mo is Scooby Doo - which you can call up at any hour of the day nowadays!)

Any good recommendations for 6 and 9 year olds?

I feel your pain. I used to babysit my friends children and was heartbroken when they moved on from CBeebies to CBBC as watching together was no fun anymore. I don’t know what to recommend.
I think acting for children really allows actors to show off their abilities, whereas older children start expecting adults to act like adults (whatever that is supposed to be). I think the Ben Dant actor is good [yn bendant!] and I love the chemistry between Lisa and Twm on Sbridiri, even though Twm never speaks.
What worries me is growing out of these programmes myself. I’m getting to the point where I have learnt most of the standard phrases, can sing along with the theme songs and understand an ever higher percentage of what is said, which I feel is great progress. however I worry that more grown up programmes will be less fun, unless it’s something interested in.
I do believe that the quality of childrens programmes is usually much higher than ‘adult’ programmes like ‘X-factor’, which I can’t bear to watch , though I really enjoyed ‘Fferm Factor’ on S4C, even when I wasn’t learning Welsh.

Yes I totally love Y Diwrnod Mawr! The little boy who went to see the skyscrapers with his two dads - don’t think I’ll ever forget him…

I like the Ben Dant actor too. (I don’t know his name.) I took the kids to the Eisteddfod in Caerffili last summer and he had a very nice chat with them in the Cyw tent, which they were starry-eyed about for ages. I also happened to see him in an excellent (and very moving) documentary for adults about alpaca farmers in South America a few months ago. I think there is quite a variety of interesting stuff on S4C to move on to when you outgrow Cyw - although I have seen woefully little of it so far!

2 Likes

Am I allowed to feel jealous?

1 Like

Whilst trying to sort out the numerous boxes cluttering up my dads house, I found a box containing books from my previous attempts at learning Welsh.I found a copy of Gareth King’s ‘Colloquial Welsh’, on the cover it says ‘Cassettes available’ which shows how old it is. It’s really strange to flick through and to know most of the written material from the SSiW course! anyway I will read itthrough because a lot of the explanations of things seem to be really useful.
Anyway, children’s programmes are recommended by Mr King because “the subject matter is generally more interesting and the story lines far more intelligent and convincing than the vast majority of programmes aimed at adults”, I agree.
I’m at the stage now where I understand most of what it said and can guess at the new words.

3 Likes

The audio for this is available for download.
http://www.routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/colloquial/welsh.php

5 Likes

I just noticed this thread and wanted to praise:
Ysbyty Cyw Bach
This seems a brilliant way of showing small children that hospital isn’t that scary a place!

I have posted inthe Reaching a million…thread about the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport instructing BBC to hand some of licence fee to other companies to pay for new Children’s Programmes. I felt that some of us might try to ensure that S4C gets its share. I am not best placed in Scotland to have any influence, but if any of you with children who live an Wales fancy writing to your MP and/or AM that could do no harm!

As has already been discussed, it is important that people get the full story to investigate for themselves. Therefore, you should include the link for others to make up their own minds:

This fund is to start in 2019. It is unclear as to how the money will be distributed, however, it is stated that this is for the Public Broadcasting Services which they have stated includes S4C.

Personally, I am unclear as to how a letter to an AM or MP would influence this situation. Therefore, I will not be sending a letter.

1 Like

Thank,you very much, Anthony I,still can’t quote links from my iPad, so am grateful for both times you have done it for me! I would have tried to add that one tomorrow.