Challenge 11 and 12 Southern

I wonder if someone could help me with a few aspects of these challenges. Partly curiosity how things are written but also to help with pronunciation.

He/ She
S/He would
Old Man/ Young Woman with these two which is the mutated and which is the non mutated forms of the words?
S/He had better

Thank you for your help

Heia Theresa,

I’m doing Northern, but here are my answers to your questions!

He - e (o in the North)
She - hi
He would - bydda fe (bydda fo in the North)
She would - bydda hi
Old Man - hen ddyn [softening after the word hen, thus dyn -> ddyn]
Young Woman - menyw ifanc (dynnes ifanc in the North)
She’d better - well iddi hi
He’d better - well iddo fe (well iddo fo in the North)

Hwyl,

Stu

1 Like

Not to tread on Stu’s toes but just to give you a few pointers from a Iestyn’s lessons, or Southern perspective :wink:

“He” is “e” or “fe”.

“He would” you may see written in its “full” form as “byddai fe”. [I point that out because you said you were interested in seeing how it was written.]

You will normally hear it pronounced as “bydde fe”, and it is often/usually spelled that way.

Similarly, [byddai hi], “bydde hi”.

“Well iddi hi” is “she’d better”, but (perhaps including a a tendency to drop the ‘h’ and all that) it often just merges into “well iddi”.

1 Like

Thank you for replying.
Would also like to know s/he wanted

That would be

Roedd o/hi eisiau (N)

Roedd e/hi’n moyn (S)

and there are variations, e.g. o(e)dd for roedd, etc.

1 Like

I am really struggling to get my head round he and she, where the words change slightly to indicate who is doing something. eg he/she wanted he/she’d better etc

I don’t seem to be able to hear the pronunciation well enough, the written help that I’ve been given didn’t help and as a result the words aren’t staying in my head.

Any advice and assistance would be appreciated as I had been doing so well until I got to Challenge 12.

Thanks

The main words you need for he and she are fe and hi (hee). Confusingly for some, ok, many, hi = she and fe = he.

So you have ma fe (mar vair, but don;t sound the r) and ma he (mar hee).

Bydde fe (BUTH-air vair) - he would and bydde hi (BUTH-air hee)

It may be confusing you a touch that fe turns to e in some situations, so O’dd e (or-th air) - he was and o’dd hi )or-th hee) she was.

Does that help at all?

(Please remember that if your pronunciation of the vowel sounds is different to what I’ve written above, stick with what you’re hearing, not what you think I might mean by my sort-of phonetics…)

2 Likes

Not sure, if I am posting in the right place with this question - but my questions are similar and related to 12 and mostly 13.
I found that after the exhilaration of moving pretty quickly through 10,11,12 and being really pleased with the accumulation of so much complexity, learning in phrase groups, long sentences etc. etc, I crashed and almost burned in Challenge 13.
There just seemed to be so many new things and although it is a bit exciting to be asked to be creative instead of just repeating like a parrot, there were a few places where I needed to know what something looked like to be able to make a new construction. That is, you may know what the ‘he’ construction might be but then got asked for a ‘she’ construction that you hadn’t heard before. It wasn’t exactly that example but something similar. It was great when you managed it, but very discouraging when you didn’t and it impacted on what came next. Basically, the things that I thought would help if I had a written version were:
he’d like to
she wanted
she’d better
I met
someone
last night
your sister
works with
to tell you
to tell me what to do
…and basically how these sentences start off e.g. he met someone last night who

…and thank you for replies above. My Achilles heel at the moment is DD, so the info about bydda and iddo iddi is a great help. Oedd is a new thing for me to add to that bag of rascals:smile

Are you studying North or South Caroline?

Hwyl,

Stu

South. …and that oedd I mentioned, I think it’s o’dd

Just having ago at this for myself to be honest. Don’t take it all as correct…

he’d like to - hoffai fe/licai fo
she wanted - wnaeth hi isio/moyn… o’dd hi isio/moyn
she’d better - (mae) well i hi
I met - wnes i cyfarfod… on i’n cyfarfod
someone - rhywun
last night - neithiwr
your sister - dy chwaer di/eich chwaer chi
works with - yn gweithio gyda/efo
to tell you - i ddweud wrthoch chi
to tell me what to do - i ddweud wrth i beth i’w wneud

1 Like

I think that the above are correct for the Southern version of this Challenge Caroline!

Hwyl,

Stu

1 Like

This kind of thing becomes gradually more common as we get further through the course, and as you have a broader range of language to choose from - but don’t worry about it, because even if you don’t get many of them right first time up, being exposed to the new variations is going to help your brain make the connections - and eventually, they will fall into place for you :sunny:

So the key message here is: be of good heart, and don’t feel you need to re-do 13 just yet! Carry on for a few more sessions and see how it feels then :sunny:

1 Like

Thank you very much. That makes a huge difference. I don’t need to commit them to memory like old style vocab learning but just have a general idea from sighting the words gives me confidence that I am saying the right thing and helps me retrieve them each new time that they’re required.

1 Like

Yeah!!! I think I have mainly got the idea of this now. Just need to get it all fixed in my memory totally also need to remember the slight alterations that The old woman, makes to something that has been she, etc

1 Like

Just tried Challenge 13 this will help me too. Thanks

Sounds to me like you’re both doing well! It’s great when people come on saying “this is confusing me a bit”, and when we say “That’s all right, you’re supposed to be confused”, you reply “OK, great, we’ll just get on with it then…!” It makes me pretty sure that you are rapidly becoming confident Welsh speakers! Da iawn to both of you :star:

4 Likes