Catrin and Aran on the move

23 July to 4. August.

Llanelli - Tresaith - Cardiff - Eisteddfod - Cardiff.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Llongyfarchiadau!

If I lived just a wee bit closer I would love to help.

At any rate I wish you and your family the best in your new home and a smooth move and transition (with lots of help!).

1 Like

Very happy for you all. With all good wishes for a smooth move and congrats on aiming for the right time of year. The last two times we did it was in snow and ice! It’s a great adventure.

1 Like

@aran I have counted up that I’ve moved, with furniture 11 times and without, as a student,4 times. I learned that doing it yourself with help of friends leads to total exhaustion and lots of sorting out for ages after moving day! I learned that accurate measurement is vital and never forget that furniture usually stands in front of skirting boards, not on them! :sob:
When moving out, make sure to mark boxes clearly with where the stuff came from or will go to, depending on circumstances. Plans are best done on squared paper with furniture cut out to scale, so it can be moved around to find best fit!!
When moving a short distance, it is best to have a responsible person at each end. The one in the new house must be the one with the clearest vision of where everything will go!
I may be talking to folk with vast experience, in which case, ignore this posting, but it occurred to me that some people have rarely moved or have only done so as students with little or no furniture!!
p.s. If work needs doing like running cables under floors or ditto gas pipes, if at all possible, it’s best to get it done before the carpets are laid, even if it means sending the kids to Nain’s house and adults sleeping on camp-bed with a camping stove or in the garden house while putting furniture into store. (If you can afford the latter!) I slept on a wartime camp bed (my dad’s) on the landing in one flat and was very aware of a railway line, as the floor vibrated and my bed with it!! It was worth it because I had a lot lof power sockets installed and some gas fires. Of course, nowadays it’s pipes for radiators or underfloor heating!!

3 Likes

That person is meeeeeeeeee! :grin:

6 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau a pob lwc yn eich ty newydd!

1 Like

I love it! Can I give advice, too? Make sure the people that are moving out have actually moved out and aren’t still dragging black bagsful of stuff across the lawn - cheap black bags that break and spill and annoy the professional guys who you are paying a lot of money to be very, very patient. Just make a quick phoney call to the solicitors and tell the professionals a big lie that the money hasn’t transferred yet !!!

It’s only one day - it’s always got its funny side, but every day thereafter is a fabulous adventure in your new home. And that’s brilliant because you chose it…

2 Likes

I love that! It just shows that one can always learn. In all my moves, that is one problem I have never encountered!!! Had trouble with their solicitors losing the papers and holding up the sale, had trouble with my solicitor (inherited from my dad and regarding me as a fragile girl, suitable for patting head thereof) in a fret about insurance for my Gower cottage because I was living in London and insurers would be afraid of meibion Glyndwr!!! Poor deluded man was in Hereford!

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments :star: :star2:

I spent the tail-end of last week at the first national conference for Welsh for Adults with Iestyn, which was an interesting, illuminating and constructive day - got home on the Saturday, and got my first chance to be back on the forum now (which is why I haven’t answered before now!) :slight_smile:

Changes to Bootcamp - yes, very likely - I’m not currently aware of anywhere as large as Gadlas near Caernarfon - so we may well go in the direction of smaller events - we’ll see how it works out…

Gary, diolch o galon - that’s such a kind offer - I gather the Boss will be in touch soon…:wink:

We’d moved home 7 times by the time I was 18, I notched up an extra 5 as a student, and then another 10 since then - but nothing at all for the last 6 years, which has been really rather lovely. I rather like the idea of this being the last time, I must admit…:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Don’t count on it, bach! “The best laid plans of mice and men…” I sat on a borrowed chair in my Gower cottage and thought, “I could die happy now!” I added, “Best wait until the work’s done and the furniture in!”, but I never expected to move again!
Mmm… to @arianrhod I have realised that I never arrived to find folk still moving out, but I had my only bad experience with Pickfords when moving up here. They were late arriving and took forever to move me out. I had my buyer sitting on the front step waiting for what seemed like for ever. I didn’t think, “Oh, that could happen to me one day!” But then I wasn’t aiming to move from here!

1 Like

Just wondering if you have time… wait I know the answer to that already!!..Just wondering if you could please bring us up to speed on the latest move plans, Aran and Catrin? Gobeithio pethau’n symud 'mlaen…

1 Like

The boss is at full speed with packing and stuff - we’ve got all bar one of the legal things done, so we should be able to get to completion before the end of the month - and then the move itself once we get back from the Steddfod…

I think the boss was planning on being in touch with you - if she hasn’t yet, it’s just a ‘frantically busy’ thing…:wink:

1 Like

Llongyfarchiadau mawr i chi, we couldn’t be more happy for you; you deserve nothing less after giving so much for so many years!! :champagne:

Fun and exciting times ahead, siwr i fod! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Cymerwch ofal xx

2 Likes

Diolch o galon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Edrych 'mlaen at sgwrsio.
Nice when you’ve trained the English spell-check to correct your Welsh spelling as well!!

1 Like

Llongyfarchiadau! When I first read “bright lights” I feared you might be going to somewhere many orders of magnitude bigger, or even (Gulp!) Lloegr. So I was mightily relieved to read on and find you are moving to C’narfon.

I have made a few attempts to move to Cymru over the last few years, some of which have come very close to happening. Indeed our intended move in late 2014 led me to find SSiW and the rest is history. Partway through Course 1 I knew this “was it” - this time I was definitely going to be a Siaradwr Cymraeg.

Happily I was right and now I have to be diplomatic with Tutors who flatter me by saying I am at a “4 years experience” level (after a year and a half). Of course, everyone’s pace does vary, but SSi seems to have a distinct speed advantage for those who are able to let their minds work with the learning method. Of course, the other essential thing I did was to practice in the “wild” as much as possible. Hence I am a regular at the Saith Seren in Wrecsam and try to go to other “Sesiynau Siarad” elsewhere, too.

Most recently, I nearly moved to Penygroes in March and I have gone to the “Sgwrs a Pheint” group which now meets there (since the Halfway in Talysarn closed down) for the last couple of weeks. Yes, all the way from Bolton, Lancashire. I must be mad, or determined (or quite probably both). Rather like your Accelerated Listening makes natural speech seem slower, going to Penygroes makes Wrecsam feel only “round the corner” now.

The family reasons for staying in Northwest England are dropping away one by one. So it is only a matter of time (possibly quite soon) before I WILL move to Y Fro Gymraeg. Sadly, we are not in a position to buy a house as things stand so we will have to find somewhere suitable to rent. In the meanwhile I will be dropping in at the chat session in Penygroes quite often and passing Caernarfon in the process.

Pob Lwc

Bob Phoenix

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr bawb for your continued messages of congratulations and support, they mean a lot to us and we feel privileged to be able to share this very exciting journey with you.

Well, we’re now in the very final stages. We’ve signed everything that has to be signed and sent them off to the solicitors and are waiting day by day for news of our moving date. Packing has commenced with much gusto, though at the moment it feels a bit like ‘big work - small steps forward’. So far I’ve packed and labelled 10 boxes, which constitutes most of the living room apart from pictures on walls and furniture!

Despite having done this several times before, it doesn’t feel familiar at all and I have to work hard at keeping my head and staying focused and organised.

I’m planning on having a week of furious packing next week before we leave for the Eisteddfod on Friday the 29th. We’ll be there for the whole week, staying in a cottage in Crickhowell with my brother and his girls and will be returning on Friday the 5th of August, by which point I expect we’ll most definitely have a moving date.

So at the moment it looks as if we will be moving somewhere between the 8th and the 21st of August.

As we currently don’t have many able bodied people at our disposal to carry and move stuff, we’ve decided it best we go with a removals company. I’ve spoken to a few people recently who’ve told me that they can be very efficient and much less of a headache than trying to do it all yourself. Plus, of course, they’re covered by insurance.

My first move though, is to try to find a handyman/carpenter/plumber/electrician type person to do some work in reconfiguring the kitchen before we move in with our large fridge and large freezer. I need to move a radiator, move the position of the cooker and swap some units about, as well as putting plumbing in for a washing machine etc. So if anyone has any recommendations please let me know. Diolch!

Having hands on deck for the day of the move would be wonderful, if anyone is available mid August and fancies some Welsh practice. We have space for tents and possibly room for camp beds and blow up beds in the chalet. We can provide food and drink and good company and definitely some lessons in Welsh swearing. :wink:

5 Likes

May well see you there at some point… :slight_smile:

Very sensible!
So sorry, all my contacts in the area are either dead or too vague (in more than one sense), but I’m sure someone will advise you re-kitchen work. Have you asked your new neighbours?
Lwc dda!!
(I am sure all will go well because you, Catrin, are clearly very clued-up!!!) I’m sure Aran will help too!

Sounds like a very exciting time in the life of the Jones family…sending good wishes for a smooth ‘move in’ and lots of fun being in your new environs.

Very much looking forward to a northern bootcamp 'Caernarfon style" if its at all on your radar at some point.

Llongyfarchiadau enfawr! :heart_eyes:

• List item
2 Likes