BBC Wales

Can we do something about the lack of Cymraeg on BBC Wales where presenters do not even say Bore Da!

BBC Wales or BBC Cymru Wales covers TV, radio and digital output.
If you want all Welsh TV, I’m sure you know that S4C provides that service.

There is, of course, a good choice of BBC and other radio stations in Welsh.

In fact, presenters on BBC Wales TV (which does not set out to provide a service in Welsh) often say “hello” or “goodbye” in Welsh. I particularly like Derek the weatherman’s cheerful “Sh’mae” or “Hwyl fawr”. He is a fellow learner, BTW. :smile:

3 Likes

Radio or Television?

As Huw says, for all Welsh radio, you have Radio Cymru and Radio Cymru 2. For half and half you have Capital who vary between all Welsh and all English programmes and presenters throught the day. Then there are many regional radio stations across Wales which are either all Welsh, or depending on their location, Welsh and English.

BBC Radio Wales are an English language radio station for the whole of Wales. They have Welsh speaking presenters who will sometimes make references to the language and drop in the odd ‘bore da’/ ‘pnawn da’/‘hwyl fawr’ and so on, but otherwise it’s an all English service in and about Wales.

I’m not much use with television I’m afraid, as I don’t watch it. But S4C (apart from the commercials) is all Welsh.

As far as BBC Wales is concerned, I believe what Huw says is correct…[quote=“HuwJones, post:2, topic:11511”]
n fact, presenters on BBC Wales TV (which does not set out to provide a service in Welsh) often say “hello” or “goodbye” in Welsh. I particularly like Derek the weatherman’s cheerful “Sh’mae” or “Hwyl fawr”. He is a fellow learner, BTW. :smile:
[/quote]

Hope all of this helps you find the radio/TV service that’s ideal for you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes