Australian history in Welsh on S4C

It is possible to see all recent public posts (well actually all posts) in one’s profile but simply attaching them to other profile doesn’t go, at least not as imagined. Also, if you’d copy one post from one profile to another they wouldn’t be where they are because merging of two profiles are not possible. Well technically I believe it would be possible one (complicated) way or another (also complicated), but I don’t believe it worths to put so much effort into merging two profiles in deed.

The thing you suggest is actually not neccessary either as @elizabeth_jane said she’d just post with newer profile from now on and not that she’d delete the old one what means the posts are still there for all (including her) to see and read and as her older profile is still there she’d get the notification about possible replies to the posts too and according to deceision she’d answer with the profile she tends to use from now on.

Much more simpler than merging the profiles, deleting them or moving the posts from one to another I believe. :slight_smile:

Hope it helps.
Tatjana

I tried accessing Creu Awstralia but it wouldn’t give me access. It said I was using a hidden IP address (which I was). However, I am able to watch plenty of other ‘not allowed’ shows on S4C. Is the show still current?

Perhaps this here: http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/files/Welsh_language_in_19th_c_Australia.pdf might satisfy your curiosity to some degree? Contains interesting comments about the state of the Welsh language in Australia in the late 1800s.

1 Like

It seems to be only 2 episodes, of which the last was last night and I recorded it but have not finished watching. Still shipping convicts last I saw! Clearly still current when you checked and before the time of Rhys et al in your book, although Port Arthur was where they docked! I would like more episodes, but not sure we’ll get them!
to @louis I couldn’t get your link to work!

Hmmm - it works for me when I click on it. Did you try copying and pasting it into a browser?

Tried to, got blank page! Sorry
Edit = i found that page loads lovely on my ipad! Diolch yn fawr! Seen Ballarat in Dr. Blake mysteries on TV. Never knew it was main centre of Welsh settlement, Welsh language etc!

1 Like

I’ve just checked and unfortunately it says “DU yn unig” - only available in the UK on the S4C Clic site. What a shame those of you living in Australia can’t see it! Maybe you should write a few letters to SBS and see if they’d be interested in showing it?

1 Like

Just finished watching part 2.;Shows that the ideas taken to Aus by political prisoners from Wales, Ireland and, later by chartists from England after the march in London, led to the introduction of the 8 hour working day in Aus., to rights for workers to change employers. Rights for which men had to wait in UK had to wait until 1918! However, it is pointed out at the very end, that the indigenous Australians, called ‘aboriginees’ and islanders who were also black, are still waiting for their rights.Not recognised as citizens by the law of 1901, they are still waiting, it says 114 years later. So it was made in 2015.

They have definitely been recognised as citizens now, but it was very late - May 1967 - and they held a referendum of the rest of the Australians to see if citizenship should be granted!

Naughty program! Or, do they have full civil rights. I am not sure exactly what it said they are still waiting for, or i if it was the Islanders.

Looking at internet implies that some things such as land ownership are still a work in progress!

Yes, there are still issues over land rights, but they are definitely full citizens.

1 Like

As Dee said, land rights is an ongoing issue, the good thing is that Australian law now recognises land rights and there is an established process for establishing these rights formally - in essence, if you can prove a continuous connection with an area, you can apply for land rights, mind you, that does not necessarily mean ownership as you and I understand it.
The hot topic at the moment is the issue of official recognition of indigenous people as the original inhabitants of the land in the Australian constitution - it is in the hands of federal politicians. I’ll say no more.

1 Like

A rather disappointing programme.